Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Can't face going away tomorrow

5 replies

musica · 11/08/2002 23:09

I don't suppose many people are up now, but I'm just getting ready to go away on holiday tomorrow, and I just can't face going. There're going to be friends there, but I just want to stay at home. I've even been trying to find reasons not to go - me being ill, ds being ill....anyone else feel like this? I don't know why I don't want to go!

OP posts:
Please
or

mears · 11/08/2002 23:32

You'll probably find you will have a great time. I have always found I have enjoyed things the most when I have least looked forward to them. Chill and enjoy

Please
or

jodee · 11/08/2002 23:41

Musica, I've got no real answer to offer you as to why you feel like you do, I know sometimes if I've had a stressful couple of weeks and we are due to visit the in-laws, I would much rather not go - I can just chill out with a bit of peace in my own home, whereas when we go visiting I have to be constantly making conversation and it's tiring.
On the other hand, maybe it will turn out to be just the break from the regular routine that you need, and it won't be as bad as you think it will be right now, and you will come back refreshed.
I hope so - but I will be thinking of you tomorrow that all goes smoothly for you and your family and you have a great holiday. Best wishes, Jodee. xx

Please
or

musica · 12/08/2002 08:27

Thanks Jodee and Mears. I'm feeling much more about it this morning! See you next week!

OP posts:
Please
or

monkey · 12/08/2002 09:15

I find getting ready to go on holiday innordinately stressful, I do all of the preparation & packing for the 4 of us, as well as all the housework (I absolutely hate coming back to a messy house, plus our landlady's coming in to water the plants, so I can't exactly leave it messy. Anyway, all the work of packing, outdone only by all the work in un-packing seems like too much bother. Sometimes I'd rather just stay at home too.

BUT, all that time with dh, and all the time dh gets to spend with the kids. Plus, you'll have friends there. Honestly, once you're there, you'll forget about all the work & agro - a bit like giving birth I suppose!

If you find you're still not relaxing, or having a good time, then efinitely speak up & get dh /the friends or whoever to chip in & give you more of a break. I always make dh do the cooking on holiday, and make him do more with the kids, because frankly I'm the skivvy 48 weeks of the year (not that I don't moan about it enough).

Also, I find if at all possible to do as much washing (of clothes) just before you come back, then the actual return is much less stressful & depressing that suddenly being confronted with piles & piles of 2 week old dirty clothes.

Hope you have a great time.

Please
or

ionesmum · 12/08/2002 12:28

I've felt the same about going on holiday. Monkey, I have to get the house tidy too as my dad comes to look after the animals. I always feel sad about leaving home, and then I have a lovely time when I get there. Then I feel sad about the holiday being over, and then glad when I get home! BTW monkey, I wish that I could get dh to cook on holiday but he can only manage toast, so I usually make sure that we have lots of meals out. However, this year we will have dd of course!

To everyone who is off on their hols - have a good one!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?