Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Short break in Lake District - ideas for walks etc

5 replies

Bozza · 06/08/2002 17:08

We are going on a short break in the Lakes next week and wondered if anyone had any ideas for walks with our 18 mo son (ie in back carrier)? We have been walking in this area before but don't want to try anything too adventurous with DS in tow mainly because of how heavy he is. But we don't want to just potter either.

Also we've booked into a B&B and I'm starting to wonder what we will do in the evenings. DS is brilliant at going down in his cot but not sure what he'll be like in other circumstances ie if we go out in the evening. And he wouldn't be so brilliant if we were still in the room with him - and I don't fancy hiding in the en-suite/corridor until he has dropped off and then watching him sleep for a couple of hours.

OP posts:
Please
or

bossykate · 06/08/2002 17:21

hi bozza

don't know the lakes that well... where are you staying? there is a nice easy walk around rydal water, for a bit more of a challenge walk from ambleside.

ordnance survey has a series of books called pathfinder guides with walks in various parts of the country. have used the devon and peak district ones and found them useful - walks ranging from easy to challenging. there's always wainwright of course...

ds has been in his own room from a very early age and goes down well at night. i hate it when we go somewhere and have to share a room with him - we are all disturbed! you might try putting his cot in the bathroom? we have done this before although it means a lot of tip-toeing around in the dark when we go to bed ourselves - it has generally worked out ok.

can't advise on going out in the evening. we planned to do this on our last trip until we saw that we needed to climb 400(unlit)steps to the nearest restaurant with him in buggy. seemed like a no go. fwiw - our plan was to get him ready for bed as normal and then put him in the pushchair assuming he would fall asleep on route.

hth - have a great time.

Please
or

Bozza · 06/08/2002 17:34

Thanks Bossykate. I had been thinking about the Rydal Water walk because we've done that before. I think thats probably about the level we're looking at.

Had been thinking about getting him ready for bed like you suggest but am just a bit apprehensive. Although this works when visiting family for the car journey home. Will bear in mind the cot in bathroom tip - just hope its big enough. Anyway thanks again.

OP posts:
Please
or

Marina · 06/08/2002 21:04

Round Buttermere is lovely, Bozza, with ice-cream stop potential at both ends of this small lake in high season, plus a pretty farmyard with chickens in the village. Plus spooky rock tunnel for short stretch! Parking is a bit costly, if you are NT members there is a less crowded car park five minutes from the village to start.
Other nice walks: along Derwentwater from Keswick to Friar's Crag (I was proposed to there, brings a tear to my eye every time I trek past there in the drizzle); take launch from Keswick to either Lodore or Low Brandlehow and walk between these stops in either direction round the head of the lake; terrace walk at Rydal/Grasmere as recommended by bossykate also wonderful.
There is also some nice, level, quiet walking up in Newlands, just outside Portinscale/Braithwaite.
If you are down Southern Lakes, Tarn Hows may be a bit like Blackpool, but is largely level walking and still lovely; and we have done large bits of Grizedale Forest and Sculpture Park with a back-carrier successfully; the climbs are mostly forest roads and therefore gently contoured.
Have fun - it tipped it down for most of my stay last week.

Please
or

Hales · 07/08/2002 06:17

Try Mirehouse near Bassenthwaite. It costs 2 pounds to get in but it is idyllic and great for toddlers and pushchairs. There is a walled garden, adventure playgrounds for little children and one for bigger ones and then you can walk down to the lake and visit a tiny chapel on the way. We did it with our 9 month old daughter in a push chair and 2 nephews aged 3 and 2. For something more hilly go across the road to Dodds Wood and you can do walks of lengths varying from 15 mins to the Osprey observation point to 2 hours up to the top. All accessible with rugged pushchair or child in a backpack! We did all this 2 weeks ago and had a great time!
Hope this helps!

Please
or

Philippat · 12/08/2002 15:51

Did Grizedale Forest when heavily pregnant so must be possible with 18 month old! The shortest 'ring' has fun sculptures you can play like bongos which he would probably enjoy.

Orest Head (I can't have spelt that right) near Windermere, has the advantage of Lakeland Limited with the Miller Howe Cafe at the bottom... My favourite is the walk along the stream between Elterwater and Chapel Stile to Chester tea shop (mmm, it appears my walking is mostly tempered by eating...).

As far as your evenings go - might your B&B have a lounge area? If you take a monitor you could still keep track of ds? Otherwise they might be able to recommend a babysitter?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?