My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Use our Travel forum for recommendations on everything from day trips to the best family-friendly holiday destinations.

Holidays

Disneyland Paris with baby and toddler

10 replies

nappybrain · 01/09/2004 08:55

Sorry another Disney thread.....Does anyone have any thoughts about taking a two and a half year old and a baby (6mths) to Disneyland Paris? We want to go during the run-up to Christmas (other thread on this has been useful but I am looking for more info on taking v young children. Thinking about self-catering at Davy Crocket. Would DH and I manage between the two of us? Would there be plenty for our toddler to do - I know that the big rides have height restrictions...And what about the baby - would he be able to go on or in anything at all eg Small World? Or do they stop you taking babies on all such things? Any tips or advice much appreciated! I think our toddler would enjoy it but I guess my main worries are about going with a baby.......

OP posts:
Hulababy · 01/09/2004 09:07

HI. WE went to DLP last October when DD was 18 months and had a fantastic time. We have also just got back from Florida - DD now 2y 4m - having spent a couple of weeks doing all the parks non stop, having a great time :)

At both there were families with babies of all ages. On many rides there are no height restrictions at all, so your baby can go on them - things like Small World, ect. None of them do anything "scary" or have any problems for small children.

And for anything which did have a restriction you can make use of baby switch. That is where one of you (with or without toddler depending on ride) queues and the other waits in a certain area. When you have ridden, you switch places with the person who waited behind, so that they can ride.

Our DD had a magical time on both trips. We went at her pace (which seemed quite fast at times ) and most days she had a small nap in her buggy for up to an hour for catch up. We used that time to have a snack or coffee.

DD adored the character breakfast and lunch we did. She had loads of time with the characters and thought it was great.

We found the characters very easy to find and have photos with, especially at DLP and the Studos next door. Never felt rushed at all.

And DD loved the parades and fireworks too.

We didn't stay at Disney accomadtaion either time so I can't help there.

Have you tried te DLP website? It should have height/age restrictions, etc on - plus tips for going with babies and toddlers.

Enjoy :)

cerys · 01/09/2004 09:08

We took our DDs in April when DD1 was 3 yrs 10 months and DD2 was 22 months. DD2 loved it and went on Dumbo, Small World, the merry go round. the spinning teacups - everything her big sister liked! So I would say there is certainly lots for a toddler to see and do. I haven't taken a baby there, but did see lots of families with babies in tow - hopefully someone else will know! There are good baby change and feeding facilities, so that shouldn't be a problem.

HTH!

nappybrain · 01/09/2004 09:57

Thanks so much Hulababy and Cerys - I am feeling a bit more encouraged! I guess that it is me that wants to go most of all!!!! I think our toddler would be fine although I don't think he - or I for that matter - would want to go on anything too scary - DH and I have been to DLP before - but before as in before kids!!!! I guess I am just a bit worried about standing in the rain (!!) waiting with a baby all the time. But if we can all do some things together that would be great. Have had previous bad experiences in France with not being allowed to take buggy into places eg museums...can you park a buggy when you get to the front of the queue at a ride???? Anyone??? Is it similar to say leaving a wheelchair?
Have looked at DLP website about height restrictions and there didnt seem to be many - quite positive in fact about under threes - but was not clear about babies and what you should do with them!!!

OP posts:
Hulababy · 01/09/2004 10:09

In most queues - certainly in Florida, but I seem to remember same for DLP - you left all buggies at the beginning of the queues, so you would have to carry the baby through the queues. Although some of the bigger rides with Baby Switch had inside waiting areas with seating and room for buggies.

Restrictions at DLP are:

Big Thunder Mountian - 1.02m, not for under 3s
Phantom Manor - OK for all but may be scary (my DD loved it)
Pirates of the Carrabean - might get wet; we didn't!
Indiana Jones - 1.40m, for over 8s
La Cabane des Robinson - lots of steps, would have to carry baby
Dumbo - says not recommended for under 1s, but not an actual restriction
Casey Jr. - le Petit Train du Cirque - under 1s not allowed
Star Tours - over 3s only
Star Course - 1.02m
Automia - not for under 1s
Space Mountin - 1.32m
Oribitron - not suitable for under 1s (very much like Dumbo ride)

nappybrain · 01/09/2004 15:58

Thanks Hulababy - there doesn't seem to be too many restrictions and it would be good if we could leave the buggy at the queue.
Am reading the DLP at Xmas thread with interest re. self catering or staying in a hotel - what do you all think about being a car ride away at say the Davy Crocket? I guess it means it isn't as easy to pop back for a rest and I do want to spend some time in the park once it is dark.
For the hotels is the shuttle to the park a monorail type thing? I am wondering if a hotel room would be really cramped with a cot in it though although it would make it easier to take a break....Other downside with the hotels is that we would have to eat out all the time other than for breakfast - might be hard work with 2 ds

OP posts:
Hulababy · 01/09/2004 16:02

We didn't stay in a Disney place at all I'm afraid - just in a hotel further away as we were actually driving round France at the time.

Will your DSs sleep in their buggies? DD did so we didn't have to worry about going back for rests.

You just park your buggies by the side of each ride and leave it there whilst you queue and ride, then retrieve it afterwards. Just take anything valuable - like cameras and wallets - with you. We have never had any problems with that at all and everyone does it.

006 · 01/09/2004 16:06

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LIZS · 01/09/2004 16:29

Hi nappybrain,

We took ds (6) and dd(then 2 3/4) to DLP in May. They loved TeaCups, Dumbo, It's a Small World, the Fairytale water ride which I've forgotten the name of , Peter Pan's flight, the Maze, the Parades and shows and in the studios the Flying Carpets (similar to Dumbo). ds went on some of the other rides like Star Tours and the Back Stage Tram ride which she couldn't but she didn't seem worried. dd didn't like the characters except the princesses as the costumed ones were rather larger than she'd imagined. she couldn't do all that ds could but there was still plenty on offer. We saw babes in arms on many rides.

We stayed in Sequoia Lodge which was about a 10/15 minute walk away. There is a shuttle bus to and fro but if you have a buggy it is as easy to walk. The rooms are smallish and would be a bit cramped with a cot too (although perfectly possible) but then you don't expect to spend that much time there. There was a small adventure playground (outdoors), play corner (indoors) and indoor pool. We found no problems taking buggies anywhere or just leaving them at the start of the queue (you'd probably have to carry the baby in the queue) but you can hire one if you are concerned. On the catering front we found the menus, especially for kids, somewhat monotonous and overpriced, and if you go at a weekend or during a busy period reserve.

nappybrain · 02/09/2004 08:38

Thanks everyone for the tips and info. Have decided to go for it and book for Dec when it is all Christmassy! Plan to stay at Davy Crockett as do not wish to pay £5 for ds' bedtime milk!!! And the feedback re. there seems generally positive. Will make sure to pack thermals.....
thanks again - of anyone thinks of any further tips then do let me know.

OP posts:
Hulababy · 02/09/2004 11:57

Have a great time :)

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.