Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Centre Parcs questions

10 replies

nappybrain · 12/08/2004 17:21

Hi I know there are many threads on this - but would appreciate some help. We have not been before and other half is somewhat sceptical about the place. We have a baby and a toddler. Apologies if these questions are dumb!! I am looking at Elvedon for a winter break.
We aren't great bike riders - does that make it impossible to do - if we did cycle how do we cope with baby and toddler - especially if it were winter?
Has anyone been at New Year - or Xmas??? - I saw some positive feedback about the run - up to Xmas - what extras are there at that time?
I am a bit confused re. the villas at Elvedon and other comments posted - are the 3 bed execs superior to the 2 bed execs??
Many many thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

juniper68 · 12/08/2004 17:27

We love Centre Parcs in winter and have gone since DS1 (the worst baby in the world) was in my tum and ever since. They have baby buggies for the back of bikes that fit 2, is baby sitting up? they're covered from what I remember and good to shop with if one of you goes to the supermarket. There's a nice walking/biking area at Elveden too. We go to Oasis now as it's nearer to us but loved Elveden and Sherwood.

Please
or

Tartegnin · 13/08/2004 08:40

Definitely do-able without bikes, but only if you're into walking. The biking is really easy, so you might want to give it a try, and the buggies Juniper68 mentioned are really good, and the kids enjoy them. But, really, it is very pleasant walking around - just some things are far from the others. We only got bikes half way into our week, so did a lot of walking ourselves - make sure you have pushchairs for the kids. You might also go for a villa nearer to the center of things - we were pretty far out. I think for an extra fee you can book a specific villa.

On the two v. three bed execs at Elveden, I think it's that most of the three bed villas are brand new (but far from the center) and maybe are a bit "fresher".

We were there in July, so can't comment on winter, but I'd bet it is really nice, and there's so much indoor activity, you won't lack for things to do. Also, you might then use the fireplace and sauna, which we never did.

Please
or

nappybrain · 13/08/2004 10:40

thanks for the help so far - we would be happy walking a lot of the time I think and we have a double buggy that we could use as well as occasionally cycling perhaps..Are the comfort villas a big no no???

OP posts:
Please
or

tiredemma · 13/08/2004 15:47

i went to sherwood for the run up to xmas ( you have probably seen me raving about it on the other older posts)
in my opinion its the best time to visit, theres fairy lights in the trees, father xmas in a log cabin in the middle of the woods etc.
i wouldnt stay in a comfort villa, i find the executive ones really give it a lovely touch in the winter as they are decorated in lovely warm terracota colours.
we are not bike riders either, but this made it more fun, we hired a burley trailer to put on the back of dps bike and stuck ds1 in there, he loved it!!

in a nutshell, go for the exec villa, hire the bikes and visit santa, we also stocked up on nice christmassy food and mulled wine on the way up there and cooked some lovely meals in the villa, we only really eat out on the afternoons after swimming etc by going to the pancake house and the american steak place.
i really cannot stress just how lovely it is to be in the exec accom with the log fire on drinking mulled wine in the run up to xmas, without a doubt the best time of the year to visit

Please
or

mrsjingles · 13/08/2004 16:15

tiredemma, sorry to jump in on this thread, can I ask how near to xmas you went??, I've been to the Longleat one in the summer and it's lovely, and can imagine it's great for xmas too, but wondered from when in dec. it's like you described, with fairy lights and santa?

Please
or

foxinsocks · 13/08/2004 17:20

nappybrain, you can certainly get by in the comfort villas. I've stayed in both and the exec ones (especially the new ones) are much more luxurious (some have saunas, steam showers) and I think all the execs have dishwashers. The comfort ones are basic but have everything you need. We stayed in an exec on our first visit but haven't done so again because we felt we spent so little time in the villa that we couldn't justify the extra cost. We preferred to spend the money on specifying a villa close to the centre and other activities.

I can see why in winter you may want a more luxurious villa though!! Also, if you are planning for this Xmas at center parcs, I imagine there will hardly be any space around the Xmas weeks by now so I would book soon.

In terms of the types of execs, you can see the exact layout of the villas on the website. centerparcs

Please
or

foxinsocks · 13/08/2004 17:22

elveden exec villas at centerparcs
excuse the poor last link!

Please
or

tiredemma · 13/08/2004 19:18

mrsjingles, we went on 16th dec till 20th dec, although the "christmas countdown weeks" start at the end of november, this year i am going on the 10th dec for long weekend.

Please
or

homebird11 · 13/08/2004 19:47

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

tiredemma · 13/08/2004 20:13

sorry, forgot to add that it was sherwood that we visited, not elvedon, so cant comment on thier "festivities!" sorry!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?