Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

LONDON IN A DAY FOR UNDER 6`S

15 replies

nightmare · 11/08/2004 08:48

Please can you help in any ideas that will entertain kids under 6 without walking all over London in a day ,thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

StickyNote · 11/08/2004 08:55

Don't underestimate the entertainment value of bus/tube/DLR, especially top deck of a red bus - bliss!

Please
or

teabag · 11/08/2004 09:17

I recently took my ds 2.8y and sds 8yr on the London eye which they thought was great. From there we walked to the Rain Forest Cafe ( which isn't far) for lunc. It's excellent and they'll really enjoy.
Hope this helps

Please
or

Momof2 · 11/08/2004 09:25

My Mum has suggested to me to take our 2 to Somerset House (off the Strand) as it has these water fountains in the courtyard that the kids can play in (obviously needs to be a nice day so that when they get wet it doesn't matter!) It is free too if you only go into the courtyard.

Please
or

Twinkie · 11/08/2004 09:26

Natural History Museum and then a boat ride on the thames was a great success with our 4 year old recently - you can get the boat up to Greenwich and see the Cutty Sark and go for a nice walk in the park - big pond ducks squirrels and a nice park at the back of the maritime museum when you get there too. (And you can always come and see me!!)

Please
or

twogorgeousboys · 11/08/2004 09:26

Yes, top deck of the buses is great value .

Please
or

bundle · 11/08/2004 09:26

london eye a must, just over the river (on a bus) from the strand,where somerset house is. and next to the aquarium if the weather's not good. i love the science/natural history museums too

Please
or

CountessDracula · 11/08/2004 09:53

The Aquarium is great! And of course the zoo if you like that sort of thing. Dd just loves the Tate Modern too and it's close to all the other things ie London Eye, Aquarium etc.

Going to Covent Garden and watching the street performers is a good free one.

Please
or

bundle · 11/08/2004 09:56

and the transport museum in covent garden. just pick your corner of london to avoid too much tramping about and definitely include one of those open top bus thingies, i'd love to do one of those.

Please
or

MummyToSteven · 11/08/2004 09:58

london eye good but a bit pricey for what it is IMHO. south bank would be good tho - exciting bridges/river views!

Please
or

bundle · 11/08/2004 10:02

also - there was a boat from the tate to the tate modern - a spotty one! - dunno if it's still running.

Please
or

Sari · 11/08/2004 10:05

Ours (aged 4 and 2) both loved the London Eye and the Aquarium last Sunday.

Please
or

malinki · 11/08/2004 10:33

I'm glad I came across this, my DH has booked a trip to London weekend of 9/10 October, we have booked the London Eye (we were only there in June staying with friends), this time we are staying in the Marriot by the side of the London Eye. Thought about the thames river cruises, but are struggling for lunch/dinner ideas,

TEABAG - Where is the Rain Forest Cafe and what is it like.

TWINKIE - Natural History Museum sounds great (if its raining), but is there anything there that my DD aged 4 will just go potty over

Please
or

bundle · 11/08/2004 13:01

malinki, the science museum in the basement is v good - just next door to the nhm - they have activity areas which are arranged by age, and the youngest one has lots of water (and aprons) activities. it's more sciencey in the older bit - bridges, making energy pulling levers etc - but all play based with plenty of helpers. there's an area with nice wide steps where you can eat sarnies and buy a coffee. the shop is good too, for little pressies like bugs.

Please
or

NMR · 11/08/2004 13:47

Aquarium is fab. We live in London with four children and never tire of it. On the road outside is the Duck tour. A bus which does a short tour of nearby sights - then enters the Thames and turns into a boat! Leaves every 20 mins I think.

Please
or

sis · 11/08/2004 20:04

Only thing about the aquarium is that it is pretty dark and my then four year old son didn't like it in there because of the darkness when we went- don't know how old your children are but if there are any much younger than six then it is a factor worth bearing in mind. Agree with StickyNote about public transport - not expensive either if you get a family travelcard.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?