Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Newquay

21 replies

Lisa78 · 07/08/2004 21:37

Anyone familiar with the area?
I'm looking for things to do there on our hols, that will suit a teenager, a baby and a dog (me and DH coming a poor 4th and 5th )

OP posts:
Please
or

Lisa78 · 08/08/2004 14:02

bump

OP posts:
Please
or

DelGirl · 08/08/2004 14:07

Lisa78, Wobblyknicks lives in Cornwall so she'll be able to tell you. I used to live there but that was about 15 years ago so wouldn't know now. I'm sure there is plenty to do there though.

Please
or

Lisa78 · 08/08/2004 14:13

come out come out Wobblyknicks, whereever you are! Want suggestions for places to visit - not including knicker shops

OP posts:
Please
or

Lisa78 · 08/08/2004 17:01

come on wobbly, stop pretending you have a life outside mn and help me!

OP posts:
Please
or

tammybear · 08/08/2004 17:07

ooo i love it there, but i dont really remember much of what's there. there's newquay zoo, and lots of cool shops. and cornish pasties but thats about all i remember

Please
or

tammybear · 08/08/2004 17:11

not much help am i

Please
or

dinny · 08/08/2004 18:01

Loads to do in Cornwall - beautiful beaches, of course, gorgeous villages/hamlets like Mousehole/Portloe, Eden Project, lots of family places like Seal Sanctuary, Paradise Park.
But if it's nice I exepect you'll spend most time on the beach.

Please
or

Cadbury · 08/08/2004 18:05

We just had a holiday there and had a great time. I know the teenager wouldn't like it much but we loved Old MacDonalds Farm which was brill for my 3.5 and 1 year olds. Have you thought about the Eden project. OUr 3.5 yr old would have been bored stiff but an older family might like it.

Please
or

Flip · 08/08/2004 18:53

Okay, there's plenty to do and we go there every year for our family holiday. In fact where going after the Mumsnet Summer party in a couple of weeks.

There's plenty of swimming activites including the Pool in Newquay and Hendra's swimming centre which is excellent.

We enjoyed Dairyland with our ds1 who was just eighteen months at the time. There's lots to do their and it's just down the road from Newquay. From the main carpark (Manor Carpark) in Newquay as you walk down a path to the shops you meet a road which is quite a steep hill. Up there on your right is the tourist centre and you'll be able to pick up endless amounts of leaflets and quite a few have money off vouchers in.

Another place to visit which your teenager will enjoy is Shires. It's just one huge slide after another and you couldn't drag me and dh away.

Perranporth has a lovely beach, much nicer than Towan beach in Newquay.

I hope you enjoy your holiday. When are you going?

Please
or

wobblyknicks · 08/08/2004 20:04

Sorry Lisa, I was actually having a life - and a very nice Sunday lunch too but I felt the call of MN and came back!! Can't really add much more about the tourist attractions - Newquay Zoo and aquarium are worth a visit but are nothing breath-taking!!! Newquay still has excellent shops, though there are a couple that Dh and you might want to go in on your own - iykwim!!! The newquay beaches are nice but I definitely second Perranporth - not a lot to do, but a gorgeous beach with a nice bar/restaurant right on the beach!!

If you want me to send you any tourist leaflets, just send me an email and it'll save you getting them here and you can plan ahead.

And for anyone venturing down here there is one tourist attraction not on the map. If you book in advance you can have lunch or a cuppa with the great wobblyknicks - if you dare!!!

Please
or

dinny · 08/08/2004 20:14

OOh, thinking about beaches, Lisa, you must go to the lovely Chapel Porth in St Agnes. Nicest one in Cornwall, IMO. It disappears at high tide though, so need to check the tide tables if you decide to go.

Please
or

Lisa78 · 08/08/2004 20:22

ooh, this all sounds very positive! I was dreading hearing how dull it was! But no one got any ideas re the dog? I'm quite happy to leave her behind some times, but not the whole week! We got an email from a woman at the owl sanctuary, her surname is Screech... has to be a wind up! She said Tilly was welcome to their shaded doggy park but the owls don't like them inside! Thought that was really good - they have a doggy park!

Got lots of leaflets thanks Wobbly, but might just take you up on that cuppa - unless you don't like dogs?

OP posts:
Please
or

wobblyknicks · 08/08/2004 20:26

lisa - no, love dogs!!

Please
or

WideWebWitch · 08/08/2004 20:27

Lisa78, Ryanair are doing 99p flights to Newquay from Stansted. But they prob won't take the dog so maybe that's no use!

Please
or

Lisa78 · 08/08/2004 20:30

wk - get that kettle on, see you in a week!

ww - LOL, poor old Tilly! She'd have a dozen different fits!

OP posts:
Please
or

wobblyknicks · 08/08/2004 20:33

LOL lisa - was thinking of a caff - unless you REALLY want to meet 2 insane mad dogs, 2 insane mad parents, and an insane couple wandering in and out (known as BIL and sis)!!! Either way, look forward to it.

Please
or

dinny · 08/08/2004 20:33

Lisa, think dogs are banned from most beaches in the summer too.

Please
or

Lisa78 · 08/08/2004 20:49

checked it out Dinny, there are specific doggy beaches!

Even better WK, tell me somewhere to be at what time!

OP posts:
Please
or

wobblyknicks · 08/08/2004 20:50

will CAT you lisa!!

Please
or

Lisa78 · 08/08/2004 20:56

oooh, you devil!

OP posts:
Please
or

wobblyknicks · 08/08/2004 20:58

Blush
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?