Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Summer Holidays - things to do

8 replies

emmagee · 12/07/2002 20:30

I have been looking for things to get up to over the summer hols in London and picking up leaflets wherever I go, does anyone know any really good, comprehensive web sites which have listings for London? My eldest is nearly 4 and we like doing all sorts of stuff.

OP posts:
Please
or

MandyD · 12/07/2002 21:55

Sorry I can't give you a website, but I recently picked up a brilliant leaflet from Islington Greenspace Team with all the summer activities in parks, playgrounds etc in it. You could ring them on 0207 527 4953 or 0207 354 5162.

My son is 3¼ and we plan to spend lots of time at the Islington Ecology Centre, 191 Drayton Park N5 (very near Drayton Park BR which is on the Moorgate line). They have a full programme of art, craft and nature activities for children of all ages this summer, phone 0207 354 5162.

Please
or

Batters · 12/07/2002 23:09

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

emmagee · 15/07/2002 20:04

thanks batters, i've checked a few of these out, we went to a great festval at Coin Street (South Bank) yesterday, there are things running there all summer too

OP posts:
Please
or

tigermoth · 16/07/2002 12:19

emmagee, grab a copy of 'lets go with the children' they cost around £2.50 and give incredibly detailed listings of farms, parks, beaches, leisure atractions etc. There's one for each county. You can get them from Sainsburys, I think, or from tourist offices.

I have never found any book better for getting us out and about. Living in SE London, I use the Kent and Sussex ones throughout the school holidays.

Also look in today's Evening Standard. I think they are doing a special things to do feature with money-off vouchers.

Please
or

Marina · 17/07/2002 09:28

Yes, they did. Hope you managed to snaffle a copy Emmagee, it is the most sensible and useful thing that has appeared in the Standard for a long time. Plenty of options for day trips out of London too.

Please
or

SoupDragon · 17/07/2002 09:40

www.letsgowiththechildren.co.uk
www.London4kids.com
www.parents-news.co.uk
www.thegrapevine.co.uk.

Can't be bothered to faff around trying (unsucessfully) to get multiple links in one post.

Please
or

emmagee · 17/07/2002 11:54

had to swallow my pride and buy the awful rag!! It had some good stuff so thanks for the pointer! When I've had a good look I'l pass on some ideas.

Also does anyone know about a day-trip kind of card that you can buy for family day out in London that gives entry to lots of places, tube fares, boat trips etc, I seem to remember something but can't remember the details!

OP posts:
Please
or

PamT · 17/07/2002 12:30

For those of you who live in or are likely to visit the Yorkshire area this summer, you can buy a PowerPass for loads of discounts. They are available from Tourist Information Centres, Max Spielman and Northern Electric shops and cost £1 which goes to charity. The cards give BOGOF entry to lots of family attractions in Yorkshire and the North East. For more info and where the discounts apply see the link on the Yorkshire Tourist Board site.

TICs are also useful for picking up loads of leaflets and sometime they have special discounts there too.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?