Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Work in the UAE

8 replies

hunmummy · 03/08/2004 15:09

Would any of you live and work in the UAE or in any arab country?

We are thinking of relocating for a while but not sure where to start, which arab country is safe these days for a Westener, where to start looking for jobs etc.

OP posts:
Please
or

Hulababy · 03/08/2004 16:55

My brother is currently working in Dubai, and before that in Abudabi (sp???). He is actually enjoying it - he is some form of software engineer over there. He has been there since Christmas and will be there until the end of the year at least. Infact he is currently looking at jobs over there as he would get even better pay as a contractor.

Whilst he has commented on some things at time on the whole he finds it very safe and he isn't concerned about his safety. Neither are his collaegues. He is free to wander about, often spends time on the beach and in the bars, walks home at night, etc.

My brother doesn't have a wife/oartner or child at present though. His collague does but they are back here in the UK as the job over there isn't permanent.

Please
or

hedghog · 03/08/2004 20:47

Hi hunmummy
Have you tried posting your question on the Fodors travel discussion website? www.fodors.com/forums/ There's a page for the UAE under East Africa/Middle East forum.

Please
or

hunmummy · 04/08/2004 08:05

Thaks for the info, I think I'll try Fodor's wesbite too.

OP posts:
Please
or

hazlinh · 07/08/2004 03:20

hi hunmummy, my sil and her dh both work as doctors in dubai. while i can't comment myself, they both seem ecstatically happy and contented,and are earning massive amounts of money. they say it's exceedingly safe and very modern and more progressive than outsiders think.
HTH

Please
or

fuzzywuzzy · 07/08/2004 11:33

I would think Dubai would be the safest of the middle Eastern countries to work in. It's also got a prett good night life there are clubs and licensed places sell alcohol too, also you don't pay tax out there so you basically get what you earn in hand. I'd find out where about's in Dubai I'd be located though, the beaches are lovely too and err a lot of our footballers own apartments out there... not sure if thats a good reccomendation!!!

Please
or

hazlinh · 08/08/2004 04:16

yes thats true. sigh. sil and her dh bragged about buying a villa next to david beckham's on some posh new man-made island called al-jumeirah or something next to that six-star hotel.good grief.

Please
or

SueW · 08/08/2004 11:44

hazlinh, Would that be the palm tree-shaped sandbank thing shown on Celeb Place in the Sun earlier this week? With Anthea Turner and Grant Bovey who were looking for a place out there? It looked a very long way off completion.

hunmummy, you might like to look at Expatmums for more info on UAE.

Please
or

hazlinh · 09/08/2004 02:09

yup, its that palm-tree shaped thing. you can buy property there before its completed. i recall them bragging about buying two villas and selling one of it for a price something like 100 times higher than what they paid for, as they'd bought it way before all the celebrity hoopla started.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?