My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Use our Travel forum for recommendations on everything from day trips to the best family-friendly holiday destinations.

Holidays

car journeys and hot weather

7 replies

Carameli · 02/08/2004 08:25

Hi,

In a couple of weeks we are off to Ireland for a lovely holiday. We are taking the car so we can just load everything into it and set off.

But I need some tips on keeping a 10mnth DD happy and also cool in this hot weather. DH has a great car but no a/c and my car is more of a city car so not up to such a long journey really.

Going on trips around here over the weekend we kept the windows open but I started to worry a bit about the effect of the noise on her little ears. But I guess cars have not always had a/c so perhaps I have just been spoilt with my car.

Any tips for travelling in hot weather? Will be so grateful.

OP posts:
StripyMouse · 02/08/2004 08:53

If you can stretch the budget, could you hire a car with a/c? got to say, we have only had it in our last car and can?t imagine how we coped without it.

Otherwise, plan loads of stops, childrens tapes(if you can stand listening to non stop tweenies), non messy nibbly food, plenty of water etc. and you will get through it.

We recently bought a map of the uk where all the garden centres were highlighted and told you which ones had cafes and toilets - much nicer to nip off a motorway and use a (usually) quieter cafe with clean toilet with changing facilities - and tend to be much much cheaper food. A hand held mini battery fan are good for a car, we had one that stuck to the dash board and was quiet and safer than windows open (I always worry about wasps, noise, pollution etc. too). Marks and Spencers do the battery operated fans but don?t think they are the stick down ones, we got ours years ago from the gadget shop.

prettycandles · 02/08/2004 14:00

If you don't get a/c there are several things you can do to help:

Get a fan that plugs into the cigarette lighter...can't remember from where though.

Get a sheepskin fleece to line the carseat with. This can also be used on a buggy, and keeps the child's skin much cooler and non-sweaty.

Keep a plant mister in the car and spray the baby with it from time to time (my mum used to do that to us when we were little and we loved it. Dad hated it because he didn't like to get the car wet inside, but if you only do a light spray then it's fine. )

BigBird · 03/08/2004 09:32

Hi Carameli, just to say its actually not that hot over here today anyhow - a bit cool and wintery ! So you may not get the same heat levels you are currently used to. Saying that, we have a/c and use it. Could you do a lot of your travelling in the early morning or evening ?
Have a lovely time.

Hayls · 03/08/2004 10:13

Woolworths currently have a plug in fan- saw it at weekend. I also got a fan from Mothercare that clips onto dd's car seat. good luck!

Piffleoffagus · 03/08/2004 10:16

we got a 12v plug in fan which plugs into the cig lighter, this fan has been a godsend, I got it off ebay... I thikn you can get batt powered ones too, other wise damp thin sheets to lay over them help too...

NomDePlume · 03/08/2004 10:35

The plug in fan thingy sounds like a great idea.

We bought a second car recently and I have to say that aircon was way up there on our list of 'must haves' along with airbags, power steering & ABS ! I'm SOOOO glad we did what with the recent hot & humid weather, although today is a different story altogether !

Carameli · 03/08/2004 18:04

thanks for all these ideas. there are lots to look into.

Today has been such a change, its like winter again!!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.