Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

our first day of the holiday nearly ended up in tragedy

17 replies

whymummy · 31/07/2004 11:43

we had to get up at 3.45 am to get to stanstead by the time we got to our hotel it was 3pm and we were exhausted so we decided to have a sleep,like always i checked for possible dangers in the room,we were on a 4th floor and the windows were easy to open but quite high so i moved all the furniture away from the windows,waited till the children were asleep and then i went to sleep myself only to wake up an hour later to find dd(4)had climbed onto the window(used the radiator to do so)she had turned the handle and all she had to do was push the window open,i don't know what woke me up as she was as quite as a mouse but without making a sound i run towards her and grabbed her i then fell on the floor crying with her in my arms,i was so shocked,if i didn't wake up she would have definetly had fallen,i found it really difficult to relax after that and i kept having nightmares,we did have a great holiday but she managed to give us a few more frights,she's fearless!!
i hope you're all having a nice time without any scares from your little ones
xx

OP posts:
Please
or

Tinker · 31/07/2004 11:47

Phew! whymummy. Thank god for parental instinct which made you wake up. Glad you managed to have a good time afterwards

Have had quite a few scares on holidays but usually down to my doziness.

Please
or

lavender1 · 31/07/2004 11:55

God how awful for you, those storey hotels are like that, thank goodnes she's safe..can you get a ground floor one next time..hope so

Please
or

whymummy · 31/07/2004 12:04

thanks tinker and lavender,we were only staying in that hotel for two nights and had booked it on the internet after that we had to find our own hotels but each time i made sure the windows were safe,i do think most hotels should make windows and doors to balconies a lot safer,is like the front doors because most are opened with a card those days you can't lock it from the inside to make sure your child doesn't wake up and wonder off the room,i'm always putting sofas and stuff against the doors i bet the maids hate me,i always rearrange the rooms

OP posts:
Please
or

misdee · 31/07/2004 12:06

that is scary!! thank goodness u woke up.

Please
or

coppertop · 31/07/2004 12:08

What an awful start to the holiday. Glad everything was okay in the end (except for your shattered nerves of course).

Please
or

whymummy · 31/07/2004 12:19

missdee i don't know what woke me up maternal instinct or her gardian angel
coppertop i wanted to get the next flight back.
one night when we went out for a meal one of the songs playing in the restaurant was eric clapton's tears in heaven and i thought of his little boy falling from a window,it's just so scary,i really thought that now she's turned 4 she was going to be a bit more sensible but i was wrong

OP posts:
Please
or

Angeliz · 31/07/2004 12:30

whymummy, i'm so glad she's o.k.

The song was probably in your head for exactly that reason! It's wierd what our subconcious tells us. Or Angels.

Just thank the lord she's o.k++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Please
or

whymummy · 31/07/2004 12:43

thanks angeliz
how's your pregnancy going?
angeliz is your dd as fealess as mine?is it a girl thing?my friends tell me i'm too paranoid but she really is an accident waiting to happen

OP posts:
Please
or

Angeliz · 31/07/2004 12:59

I wouldn't say my dd was fearless really, she is neither fearless nor over cautious. She has her scrapes and can't STAND the sight of blood so maybe that's what stops her??

My pregnancy is going o.k. It's not agreeing with me emotionally though.
I just keep getting weepy all the time, HATE myself for snapping at dd, not really getting on with dp at the moment (not arguing, just a bit distant, he said he'missed us'last night)
I'm 10 weeks now so am hoping i'll feel a bit more human in a few weeks.

Please
or

Angeliz · 31/07/2004 13:00

BTW, about the paranoid thing, my dp tells me i'm too paranoid all the time with dd. He's of the opinion that it's how she'll learn!!!!

Please
or

whymummy · 31/07/2004 13:09

oh sorry about not feeling too good,if is any consolation i felt just like that with my second pregnancy,it is really worriying and wonder how you'll cope with two,but it isn't that bad,babies sleep a lot and you'll have plenty of time for dd and lots of time for the baby when dd is at school,don't worry
dh has the same view,if dd is drowning in the sea he doesn't rush over he waits till she's had a few mouthfuls of water to teach her a lesson,thing is it doesn't work with dd
hope you feel better soon

OP posts:
Please
or

Thomcat · 31/07/2004 22:08

Blimey! Thank God fot that maternal instinct.

Please
or

whymummy · 02/08/2004 08:09

you can say that again thomcat,i don't think she'll be here today if it wasn't for that.

OP posts:
Please
or

sunchowder · 05/08/2004 03:24

What a scare whymummy!!! I am so glad that all is well--I miss you!

Please
or

whymummy · 05/08/2004 12:00

hey sunchowder lovely to see you around again
hope you're all well

OP posts:
Please
or

motherinferior · 05/08/2004 12:08

I didn't have children when Eric Clapton's baby fell, but it still scared me stiff. Oh honey, how HORRIBLE.

Please
or

whymummy · 05/08/2004 13:39

thanks motherinferior,i still haven't got over the shock and there's lots of "what ifs" in my head but we were extremely lucky and i'm now searching the web for some sort of window lock that doesn't new screws just to take on holiday

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?