Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

daytrip to the seaside from London

18 replies

emmaij · 23/07/2004 10:48

Anyone got any ideas? nice beach? Lovely little town? People go on about WHitstable. Is this all it's cracked up to be?

OP posts:
Please
or

Fio2 · 23/07/2004 10:49

of course it is wonderful there!

Please
or

Fio2 · 23/07/2004 10:51

how old are your children and what do you like doing?

Please
or

Welshmum · 23/07/2004 11:03

We love Whitstable. DD (2 and a 1/4) thinks it's fab - loves all the obvious stuff and we like the laid back family atmosphere but also that it's just trendy enough to have a few nice places to eat, drink and hang out. Oh it's lovely, lovely - you've made me want to go now.

Please
or

emmaij · 23/07/2004 12:26

Fio2 We'd like to paddle in the sea, maybe brave a swim, have a good meal and then see something kid-friendly (ie: wildlife park, donkey sanctuary, steam engine...)Typical day out kind of stuff! What d'you think? Whitstable?

OP posts:
Please
or

Fio2 · 23/07/2004 12:29

I live just round the coast from whitstable but it is a very different place where I am. Whitstable is nice, quite conservative, lovely places to eat, nice clean beach (most of the beaches on this stretch are blue flag anyway) I have only lived here 3 months so dont know the area that well. There is a 'wilwood' nature reserve at Herne which is supposed to be nice. i will try and find a link.

I know Marina went on the Hythe and Dymchurch railway a few weeks ago and that is near the beach, although I think it is a bit more baron than this stretch of coast

Please
or

Fio2 · 23/07/2004 12:32

wildwood should be listed here

romney hythe and dymchurch railway

I hopw these work as I cant check links!

Please
or

Fio2 · 23/07/2004 12:33

also whitstable is close to canterbury so you could go sightseeing round there if you wished

Please
or

Fio2 · 23/07/2004 12:35

hythe is not by whitstable btw! but is in travelling distance from london

Please
or

Bunglie · 23/07/2004 13:10

Oh do come to Weymouth....It has a long sandy beach,(Blue flag), is very child friendly and if the weather is a bit wet, there are places like, Monkey World, the Butterfly Farm and the Sea Life Centre. There is so much to do and it is only two and half hours by train from Waterloo. There is of course Portland Bill on the isle of Portland and don't forget we have the only other working cantelever bridge in the UK (like Tower Bridge). The kids can spend the day paddling, crabbing or just having plain clean fun in the sand. I say Weymouth is the forgotten, costa del Dorset!

Please
or

Fio2 · 23/07/2004 13:11

bunglie are you in dorset then? we are moving there soon.......

Please
or

prettycandles · 23/07/2004 14:59

When I was little we went on several marvelous day-trips to gorgeous Norfolk beaches...but neither I nor my parents can remember where we went !

Please
or

bunny2 · 23/07/2004 19:18

Fio, I'm in Dorset - Bournemouth. Where are you moving to?

Bunglie, I am taking ds to Weymouth on the train v soon.

Please
or

emmaij · 23/07/2004 22:03

Thanks everyone!

Well we're off tomorrow and I think it's looks like it'll be Kent. I think we'll give Whitstable a visit unless anyone knows about Tenterden ?! Isn't this meant be even nicer??

OP posts:
Please
or

nutcracker · 23/07/2004 22:06

Fio - Youa er moving again, already, why ??

Please
or

Fio2 · 24/07/2004 19:01

wimborne bunny2 , so not far!

nutty it is a looooong story

Please
or

Tommy · 24/07/2004 19:04

Bunglie - do you live in Weymouth? We're going there tomorrow (just for the day) but staying a week later in August!

Please
or

suzywong · 24/07/2004 19:06

DONT go to Southend from London, well north London, bloody miles and not the nicest beach in the country by any stretch of the imagination.

BTW I will be in Dorset for 10 days in 2nd week of August before we leave for Australia, anyone fancy getting together (I have little kids though, 3 and 10 months)

Please
or

bunny2 · 24/07/2004 21:34

Suzy, are you going to be near Bournemouth? Let me know if you are.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?