Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

UK recommendations, me, kids and grandparents

11 replies

gold123 · 21/07/2004 13:32

I would like to go on a UK holiday and wondered if anyone had any recommendations, criteria:

1. for me, 2 kids (4&6) and my mum and dad
  2. Things to do for all ages
  3. Not too far away from home 1-2 hour drive from Staffordshire
  4. Not a butlins/haven type of tacky place
  5. Love countryside/walking etc.. but also would like some sort of activities for kids/entertainment etc
  6. Cheap, as I am skint

I fancy a cottage in Wales or somewhere, but think the kids would be bored, an ideal place would be a log chalet/cabin in a more classier holiday park. My dad hates butlins !

Can anyone help me ? please ?
OP posts:
Please
or

StickyNote · 21/07/2004 13:40

Does it have to be near the sea?

Please
or

Hulababy · 21/07/2004 13:45

We use <a class="break-all" href="http://www.cottages4you.co.uk/c4y_homepage.html\Welcome" rel="nofollow noindex" target="_blank">www.cottages4you.co.uk/c4y_homepage.html\Welcome Cottages} a lot. There places are usually very nice and they have them all over the UK, and in Ireland and France too. There locations vary - coastal, farms, cities, rural. And as the price is for the cottage rather than per person it can work out quite reasonable. Some are on complexes with play facilities, some are cottages, some apartments, some houses, some log cabins...

Please
or

Hulababy · 21/07/2004 13:46

Ooops - Welcome Cottages

Please
or

Hulababy · 21/07/2004 13:48

That is odd, the link keeps changing - it should say www.cottages2004.co.uk

Please
or

gold123 · 21/07/2004 14:06

no it doesn't have to be near the sea. I remember a place we went to in Isle of Wight that I loved, but its a bit to far for us to go now. We stayed in a wood cabin surrounded by a lake and flat grass, but it also had a entertainment venue on site.

I am hoping dh will take us all away for a 'butlinsy' type holiday later on in the year, he can't come with us this time. My Dad just doesn't like to commercial side of holiday parks, so I want something they would enjoy too. At the same time, not being in the middle of nowhere.

OP posts:
Please
or

Tetley · 21/07/2004 15:15

What about these log cabins in Snowdonia. I got a brochure through for them last week, & they look rather nice - plus there's a dry ski slpoe there too if you fancy a go! The kids could certainly have a go. Plus of course, lots of nice scenery.

Please
or

CountessDracula · 21/07/2004 15:20

How about staying on a farm here (and there are other sites, just google). Lts of interesting animals to play with etc for the kids and usually in beautiful places.

Please
or

acnebride · 21/07/2004 15:50

Have been to Scotchcoulthard back in the day with my xh. Has a pool and pool table for the cottages, plus Hadrian's Wall is just fantastic if any of you are into history, walking is also good. It's a bit miles from anywhere though.

Please
or

mummysurfer · 21/07/2004 18:20

lake district
these cottages are very nice, all tourist board rated so you know what you are getting

Please
or

clary · 22/07/2004 12:44

We love tenby and are off there on Saturday! There's lots to do, beach, walking, dinosaur park, farm + adv playground, not tacky, nice restaurants in town. Check out fbmholidays for cottages in Tenby, or lots of other sites for the area generally. It takes us 4hrs from Derby mind you, but then the sea is a long way from us in any direction! You wd be a bit nearer, depending on where in Satffs. Will try and post a link later.

Please
or

yamamoto · 22/07/2004 16:22

Just checked with our neighbour, Mell Fell who has 2 weeks free in converted farm buildings, 14th and 21st August.
V good for kids. Cost around £425 for week.

Also check latelets.com for late deals.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?