Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

malta

9 replies

jinna · 15/07/2004 16:49

we are thinking of going to malta - has anyone been -and if so what area is the best for family breaks - i have 2 boys 6 and 2 - we are looking for sandy beaches and activities for kids
thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

bundle · 15/07/2004 16:59

i've never been, but had a long-term malteser boyfriend who reckoned there were no sandy beaches, just rocky ones. but it's v child-friendly.

Please
or

aloha · 15/07/2004 17:25

Gozo is much nicer IMO - some lovely sandy beaches, warm clear seas, a very old-fashioned, sleepy atmosphere and it's pretty. But it's also VERY Catholic, which means that even villages have socking great cathedrals in them with bells that toll every 15minutes day and night! Make sure you aren't near one of those.

Please
or

Trifle · 15/07/2004 17:43

I lived in Malta for 3 months. There are some sandy beaches but not many so during peak season and weekends they are absolutely heaving. I was there a long time ago and from memory there was a waterpark, boat trips to go on although ones that go round the island are extremely long and if the army are practising on the rifle range the boats have to go so far out to sea to avoid being shot you cant really see the coastline! I found Malta extremely crowded but Gozo was completely different, very green and peaceful and you would need to get a boat over from Malta but worth it, even if you do it for a day. Driving is hazardous, they joke that the Maltese only drive in the shade and unfortunately found this to be true. The food is fabulous especially fish and altogtether it's an interesting place but probably more history there than 2 children would want to know.

Please
or

jinna · 15/07/2004 18:58

thanks - anyone else

OP posts:
Please
or

jinna · 15/07/2004 18:59

trifle - where was the water park?
is gozo very quiet - or does it have enough to keep the kids amused

OP posts:
Please
or

aloha · 15/07/2004 19:38

Depends on your kids I suppose. My stepdaughter was 9 and loved it - fascinated by the ancient bakery where they had wood-fired ovens in the walls and you bought your cinnamon buns hot and direct from the baker, the donkeys in the street, playing on the sandy beach, looking at the fish in the sea, swimming and eating pizza, jumping in the pool, reading a book, playing board games and stuff. But then I don't particularly like waterparks etc. This year we are off to North Norfolk for picnics and running about on the beach and collecting shells etc. That's enough excitement for anyone

Please
or

Trifle · 15/07/2004 19:39

I cant remember quite where the waterpark was as we are talking 15 years ago so no doubt will have seen many changes. I'm not quite sure what you are looking for. If it is a beach holiday then Malta is not the place as the one sandy beach gets so crowded it's virtually standing room only. The diving was fantastic and we spent our days diving off rocks with a mask and snorkel so probably great for your 6 year old. Gozo was a place to drive round and wonder at how green it was compared to Malta but there isnt a great deal going on. Malta isnt a place that I would return to, it was too busy, too crowded, no escape from the crowds and for a beach holiday with children I think there are better options.

Please
or

Joanne69 · 19/07/2004 22:16

We have just come back from Malta (last week), my 2 daughters are 1 and 2.

Have to say that I was dissapointed with Malta, very few beaches, they were nice but were just so packed and a lot of them you had to go down steep steps so a no no with a buggy. It was also far far to hot, 37 degrees, OK, I know it was July but we were going with MIL, so didnt have much choice of when to go.

The waterpark is closed at the moment, daft considering it is their peak season, they have a marine park where you can swim with dolphins, which is expensive and not really worth it according to friends.

There is the Popeye Village, where they filmed the popeye film and they have turned it into an attraction for kids. Well, half of it was closed (again, Peak Season?????) and we couldnt get into the restaurant and a lot of the village with a buggy.

Last year we went to Sardinia, again not much in the way of amusements for children, but gorgeous deserted beaches.

In my opinion I dont think that Malta is ideal for a family holiday with children.

Please
or

Carameli · 20/07/2004 22:45

Hi,

I am married to a Malteser and we went last year, but did not have dd then.
Its a lovely place but I agree with some of the others here that it might not be too chid friendly.
There are some lovely sandy beaches in parts and somewhere in the SOuth is the blue grotto(dh is away on business so can't ask him where right now)
Its a small place and Gozo is so easy to get to and is so much less overcrowded.

Hate to feel I am totally putting you off but its also a really hot place in the summer.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?