Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Other Hints for Take off and Landing

7 replies

Chuffed · 15/07/2004 10:21

The hint today has reminded me to find out some more about the take off and landing when flying. We are taking dd who will be 4mths on the first leg of our journey. She is primarily breast fed and I was wondering if anybody knows if the airlines are OK with breast feeding during take off and landing to help with pressure changes in the ear as I was hoping to avoid taking bottles in the carry on luggage...there will be enough as it is.
Any other ideas for making her swallow to make her flight a bit more comfortable. We do have a basinet booked and are flying Singapore Airlines almost the whole way.

OP posts:
Please
or

lou33 · 15/07/2004 10:23

I breastfed mine during take off and landing with no problems. Failing that do you use dummies? Or give a bottle?

Please
or

JanZ · 15/07/2004 10:43

Breast feeding on take off and landing is great. Really comforts them. She'll be on your lap anyway, with the "extra" lap belt, so feeding her should be relatively easy

My ds didn't seem to be bothered by the pressure changes at all. Any time he started getting a bit grizzly, I just plugged him on

Ds was 11 months and 13 months when we were flying (first time was a trial holiday to Greece and second time was long haul to South Africa - which is why I fed for longer than 12 months)

Please
or

aloha · 15/07/2004 10:52

Feed or give a dummy. the swallowing action equalises pressure and relieves pain. I have never You can breastfeed on takeoff and landing - I have. The baby is on your lap anyway.

Please
or

prettycandles · 15/07/2004 11:38

Unless you know that she feeds for a very long time, don't start feeding her until the plane starts its take-off run. If you start when the plane starts taxiing, you don't know how long it will be until the take-off itself, and may have finished the feed before you actually take off.

Have a bottle of water in the carry-on luggage in any case, just-in-case.

Please
or

Chandra · 15/07/2004 11:43

Agree with pretty candles, don't start feeding until the plane is runing for take off. DS finished his bottle twice before the take of and then he has to suffered all the pain of the pressure change.

Please
or

SoupDragon · 15/07/2004 12:09

No one will be able to see that you're bf-ing during take off as they're all sat down It's easy enough to do with the silly baby selt belt contraption

Please
or

JanZ · 15/07/2004 12:49

Another vote for the "leave it as late as possible" technique - although sometimes it's not possible as the child gets fractious with being constrained on your lap, so you get forced into plugging them on to keep them quiet!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?