Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

toddlers and transatlantic flights - what's your secret?

5 replies

thelollipoplady · 18/07/2004 15:57

We're taking our 20 month DD to the States next month, anyone got any tried and tested tips for stopping toddlers freaking out, farting noisily and kicking the seat in front? Not that my little angel does ANY of those things of course.....!!

OP posts:
Please
or

hana · 18/07/2004 16:30

try a search under travel - there have been lots of threads about this that I've had some good tips from. We've flown with dd several times since she was born to Canada (7 hours) and things that were a hit were
wrapping up little presents like crayons/paper/paper/stickers or sticker books
playdough
books
lot of little snacks (raisins, crackers, juice/H2O etc)
walking up and down the aisles - you'll usually find another little one or two that will amuse them as well
um um um magnadoodle pads and the magnetic boards.
Depending on the time of your flight your dd may also sleep for part of the flight.
Where are you going?
Good luck!
We also bought dd a little suitcase trolly from Woolies, she loves it and thought she was very grown up pulling it behind her in the airport.

Please
or

SoupDragon · 18/07/2004 16:36

Who are you flying with?

Please
or

SoupDragon · 18/07/2004 16:36

And have you paid for a seat for her?

Please
or

Hulababy · 18/07/2004 23:21

Following advice from Mn in the oast we are supplying DD (2y 3m) with a selection of toys/entertain,ent for the journey. I think it was suggested maybe one new activity/toy per hour of journey.

Poundland and Home Bargains do lots of cheap, smallish toys. So far for our flight to Florida I have ready for DD - a pack of pencils/crayons and paper, a clipboard to lean on, a travel etch-a-sketch type thing, a lille pack of Lego Duplo, some little Disney Princess dolls, a travel train set, some music tapes, books, stickers, mini jigsaw puzzle.

And we are gouing to pack some mini snacks of raisons, yogurt coated fruit flakes, etc. too.

Please
or

irishjewels · 18/07/2004 23:36

Have flown 3 times to south africa with ds, and we both loved every minute! In fact when we fly from uk to ireland (50mins) he is positively disappointed...
I think it is better to hang back and board at the very last minute, as this can save you up to an hour on transatlantic flights. Obviously request a bulk head seat as these have so much extra room infront of the seat and an aisle seat so you arent restricted or continually asking people to move. No tips re: farting though - sorry

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?