Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Edinburgh with two toddlers!

13 replies

Paula71 · 12/07/2004 01:16

This sounds terrible but I have never ventured into Edinburgh alone with ds twins! Now they are 2 1/2 I would like to go in via the bus (45 minutes - it goes on a magical mystery tour and we live in Bathgate) or by train (15 min.)

I would like to get out and about more now they are totally mobile and I don't have to cart about a huge bag of stuff. So, where can I go with them and what can we do once there?

Any ideas would be appreciated folks! Even if it is just what you would do? I need to get some freedom with the bubs!

OP posts:
Please
or

tamum · 12/07/2004 01:42

If it's wet I would definitely go to the museum- big hall to run around in with fascinating big clocks and large ponds full of fish. There's also a model train where you can push the button and the wheels go round- sounds pathetic, but much loved by my ds at that age. If it's nice then Princes Street gardens- there's a proper big carousel there at the moment, and lots of space and play equipment. Jenners toy department is always popular with mine- there's a lego "bar" (kind of pick and mix), a little train going round on a track near the ceiling and a big video screen. Off to bed in a moment but will keep thinking!

Actually just another thought- there's a fab book written by NCT members called Edinburgh for Under Fives. Definitely worth buying or borrowing! (mine's v. out-of-date or I'd give you mine)

Please
or

Marina · 12/07/2004 12:14

Edinburgh pal also enjoys Botanics, Tamum. She has not ventured back into Jenners since ds2 offered to show the assistant his willy while school uniform was being purchased for ds1. You can imagine how that went down in Jenners
We have happy memories of the Christmas Fair in Princes Street a couple of years ago...
Paula, once you are in the groove, take the boys for lunch in Valvona and Crolla. Mmmm. Child-friendly and wonderful food.

Please
or

hmb · 12/07/2004 12:22

Botanics is great fun. If you go during the festival thene there are sometimes free circus shows etc, check the fringe program for details.

Chambers street museium is great. Inverleith Park (not far from the Botanics) has a nice play park and you can feed the ducks, but watch the swans they get very up close and personal!

I also like taking mine to the Museum of Modern Art, sounds crazy but there is lots of wierd stuff for them to look at.

I'd say give the museum of childhood a miss, too many steps inside IME.

Princes St gardens with some sandwitches. Mine love the wee park there and ds is beside himself with joy at being so close to the railway!

Please
or

juniper68 · 12/07/2004 12:38

the museum of childhood has a lift though and you could maybe try some of it?

Have you been to the zoo yet? It's very hilly though but great fun.

There's so much to do for free there though. I bet that NCT book is great, maybe you could get some info online from them?

Please
or

tamum · 12/07/2004 12:38

I did wonder about suggesting the Botanics and so on, but I thought it sounded as though Paula was looking for things that wouldn't involve another bus ride (although it is a bit of a slog up the Mound to the museum come to think of it). If you're game for another bus ride Paula then yes, definitely go to the Botanics! (ponds, squirrels, glasshouses, fish etc). I'd agree with hmb about the Museum of Childhood, not just because of the steps but because IME two year olds just get frustrated at seeing loads of toys they can't play with

at "offering" to show his willy, Marina!

Please
or

Paula71 · 12/07/2004 23:59

Cheers m'dears, we'll try the Botanics as DH can pick us up after work (he's based at the airport) so another bus ride wouldn't be too hairy scary!

What museum did you mean Tatum, with the big hall? That sounds quite good.

I am afraid lack of confidence has meant I have stayed out in the sticks as I have been worried about ds twins misbehaving or something happening. Now, what the heck they deserve more adventure!

OP posts:
Please
or

Paula71 · 13/07/2004 00:01

Juniper, have been to the zoo so many times! That is the one "Lets go for a day out in Edinburgh" thing so I am trying not to just keep going there. Even though they absolutely love it, especially the safari ride to the top of the hill!

OP posts:
Please
or

islandgirl · 13/07/2004 00:02

we had a great day at the zoo, only downside a bit hilly, and a bit expensive, but they loved it and still talk about it 3 months on. And quite good fun watching their reaction to stuff. The penguin walk was a big hit.

Please
or

juniper68 · 13/07/2004 00:26

I thought you must have after I'd written it

there's no way i'd live in edinburgh and not go as it's so good. Mind you i have a mate 20 mins away who hasn't been!

Please
or

tamum · 13/07/2004 00:34

Sorry Paula, I meant the Royal Museum on Chambers St. The website is here . I remember you posting that you'd been to the zoo before, that's why I didn't add it. Don't worry about misbehaviour in the museum, it's not remotely stuffy and always full of toddlers!

Please
or

xoz · 13/07/2004 00:43

The Royal Museum has a fantastic, kid-friendly cafe place at the back too. They do huge bowls of salads, jacket potatoes, soups, kid boxes and stuff. It quite small and popular but really nice... can't remeber what it's called but it's at the back through the big stuffed animal section.

Please
or

midden · 13/07/2004 01:53

hi paula, some good suggestions here, museum is fab and has great kids interactive bit, nearby the meadows is nice for a walk if weather is good and has a couple of good parks. If your boys like trains princes st gardens is a winner -there is a bridge with perspex so you can see trains pass both ways and wave to driver who usually gives you a toot of the horn, my ds could stay there all day.
Definately worth coming into town in the festival, loads of brilliant kids shows and a walk up the royal mile will have kids entranced with free performances and lots of things to see.
Would recommend getting hold of Edinburgh under fives book, although even the new version has lots of out of date info, but it is good for what to do/where to eat, toilet stops and that kind of thing.

Please
or

Paula71 · 16/07/2004 21:24

Just bumping this up to say a huge big thank you to everyone for mentioning the museum. How on earth have I not discovered this before!!!!??? Maybe being a refugee Weegie has something to do with it

Anyway that place is excellent, it is like a labyrinth and I am sure we saw only a third of the stuff! Managed to see the spiders though, yuk! And that little cafe in the back, with its big basins of soup if fab! So thank you, thank you, thank you and anyone who is even thinking of going, just do it. It would keep all ages of children amused.

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?