Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Scilly Isles

4 replies

prettycandles · 11/07/2004 17:54

Has anyone been there? What is there for a 3 and a 1yo to do? Can anyone recommend any family-friendly hotels? And is it worth taking the car over on the ferry? And is it still warm sea-bathing weather out of season?

Thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

binkie · 11/07/2004 18:06

I know all about this one!!

Don't take the car. Absolutely no need whatsoever, all you need is a pushchair or backpack. If you have a choice, don't take the ferry - it's flat-bottomed so's to be able to get in within the islands, but has to go through some quite big Atlantic seas to get there, and for those who get seasick ... Take the helicopter from Penzance, it's noisy but only 20 mins & brilliant.

Tregarthen's on St. Mary's is pretty family friendly (does high teas etc.) if you don't mind your group bringing the avg age down by 40 years (actually that goes for the whole of the Scillies). I've heard great things about the hotel on St. Martins, but it's much posher. I wouldn't do the Tresco hotel with little children, bit starchy I think, but you could go over to see the gardens.

You can walk everywhere. Roads on St. Mary's are quite busy, on the other smaller islands there are wide concrete pathways done I think in WWII so it's like walking round a park, plus coast paths. Beaches everywhere, and it's all entirely civilised - shops all stocked with whatever you need, etc. Water - don't know, it's the Atlantic but sheltered - certainly mine paddled dawn to dusk. Don't expect any nitelife.

Please
or

prettycandles · 11/07/2004 18:12

Oh good, sounds my kind of place.

OP posts:
Please
or

prettycandles · 11/07/2004 18:13

Oh dear, am I that sad? Is this what having children has done to me, that I think a place without nightlife is a good holiday resort?

OP posts:
Please
or

binkie · 11/07/2004 18:15

... I wanted to move there ...

(But of course, because the schools are among the best in the country.)

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?