Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Peterborough with a 2 year old

6 replies

Zerub · 10/07/2004 15:11

We're meeting SIL & BIL (childless but relaxed) halfway between their house and ours for a day out. We need somewhere near Peterborough that wouldn't be too boring (or better still, might be quite fun!) for 2yr-old dd. Made tricky by the weather at the moment (sunny, sunny, sunny, oops a swimming pool fell on my head, sunny, sunny ...)

Any recommendations?

OP posts:
Please
or

Jaybee · 10/07/2004 15:51

What about Ferry Meadows - it is a country park not far from the A1 which has three large lakes, a little train etc. Quite good for walking around and feeding the ducks etc. Not good if it is raining though.

Please
or

Jaybee · 10/07/2004 16:02

Can't really think of much - how near Peterborough are you thinking - where are you both coming from? There is Wicksteed Park in Kettering, Stamford is quite nice - lots of lovely shops etc. There is the Lido in Peterborugh centre - an old fashioned open air pool with grass etc.

Please
or

coppertop · 10/07/2004 16:16

I would second Ferry Meadows for a day out if the weather's nice. Central Park is also pretty good for the little ones. There's a fenced off play area and also a paddling pool and sandpit area. There's also mini-golf and a little cafe, and you're within walking-distance of the city centre.

Wicksteed Park at Kettering is a good day out but you'll find that there won't be a lot of rides suitable for a 2yr-old. Ds1 was fortunate that he was a tall 3yr-old otherwise he would have spent most of the day on the swings and slides.

If dd likes trains you could try the Nene Valley railway and go for a ride on the train. It's not far from Ferry Meadows either.

Please
or

Zerub · 10/07/2004 17:54

Thankyou!

(sorry about multiple posting; my computer has never done that before - I always wondered how it happened!)

OP posts:
Please
or

helenmc · 10/07/2004 23:00

what about Wimpole Hall nr Royston south of Peterborough - there's the old house for the oldies and a rare breeds animal farm for the dinkies. And plenty of parkland to run arouns and picnic.
Am thinking hard for a rainy alternative ...might post later when I can think of one!

Please
or

Piffleoffagus · 10/07/2004 23:43

another here for Ferry meadows, also the trian line nene valley often has thomas tank engine days tc...
Or then again there is an indoor massive play area called big sky in woodston

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?