Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Sweden-anyone lived there?

6 replies

Lois · 16/06/2002 19:45

My husband has been offered a job in Trollhattan, but as we have never even visited Sweden I am trying to get some idea of what it might be like. We have an 8 month old baby and my main concern is being stuck at home with no-one to talk to!

If anyone has any information I would be very grateful.

OP posts:
Please
or

pupuce · 16/06/2002 19:47

Malmomum lives in Sweden....

DH is half Swedish but we have never lived there. Just been on holiday.

Please
or

MalmoMum · 16/06/2002 21:20

Hello! I'm in Southern Sweden, moved here last year and enjoying the summer. No idea where Trollhattan is without looking it up, Dh reckons it's in Norway.

Like moving anywhere different, this has come with a mixture of pros and cons but generally pleased to have made the move. We get to see loads of dh as his work is a very civilised 7 min walk away which has made a huge difference from the 8 hour journey each way each week. It has taken time, but have now got a variety of social circles to tap into.

Where I am there are Open Preschools which are drop in playgroups open each day which is good to get you out of the house. You will find that everyone speaks english to a high conversational level though you may need to project yourself a bit in the early days as the locals are not necessarily forward in coming forward. Most mothers are on a year's maternity leave or longer so there should be other mothers around. You will also be able to register your child for swedish nursery, Dagis, from 1 year. It's very affordable but the waiting lists are a bit messed up at the moment, if that appeals to you, you could use some time for language classes.

Transport system great, 33 weeks pg and still cycling everywhere (it is very flat where I am) but you will prob never moan about your local supermarket again.

Happy to discuss more if you like, we can swop emails via tech support.

Hej då!

Please
or

monkey · 17/06/2002 14:05

Don't know anything about Sweden, but I did an international move when 6 months pg and had a toddler, so it was pretty scary. It was great - a fab move for us, and (almost) everything here is so much better.

I agree with Malomum about the supermarkets!

Please
or

Foodie · 17/06/2002 15:28

Sorry to butt in, but I received a mail entitled "You know you've been in Norway too long when...." and one of them was "You believe that having no choice of produce in a supermarket makes it easier to shop." Obviously rings a bell Malmomum!

Please
or

Lois · 18/06/2002 16:23

Than you very much for getting back to me. I am starting to feel a bit more relaxed about the whole thing now, though I am a bit concerned about your comments on the supermarkets!!! Am I to assume that there aren't too many Italian delis either?

Thanks for the offer to swap email details, Malmomum, that would be great. Trollhattan is north of Gothenburg...so nearly Norway.

OP posts:
Please
or

MalmoMum · 20/06/2002 19:52

Now I remember passing through Trollhattan on a visit to Oslo on the train. Here is Malmö there is a nice Italian deli in town and you can get sun dried tomatoes at the supermarket.

It's Midsummer tomorrow so dh has a the day off and there are lots of dancing around the maypole type celebrations going on. We're off to Copenhagen for a bit of shopping (not a bank holiday there) and out to party later.

If you want to swap details you need to get in touch with [email protected]

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?