Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Places to go, things to do, places to eat in N Devon please

12 replies

allatsea · 07/07/2004 16:34

We're off on our hols next weekend to Appledore (near Westward Ho!, Bideford) and would like any top tips on places to go with a 2yo and a 7mo, family friendly pubs/restaurants etc. I think it might be rather wet!!

OP posts:
Please
or

hoxtonchick · 07/07/2004 16:38

I really hope it isn't wet allatsea, we're going to North Devon next week too (Woolacombe Bay). I am relying on the grandparents to entertain ds & his cousins whilst we parents have a rest, but will watch this thread for things for them to do .

Please
or

yamamoto · 07/07/2004 16:59

As a child we went camping at Croyde every easter (rain and sometimes shine). Best memories were the rock pools at the end of the Croyde beech and the Whale Skeleton just round the headland, it cant still be there I suppose?
Wish we were going as well!

Please
or

allatsea · 07/07/2004 17:40

oh well hoxtonchick, sounds like we should just be prepared for the worst at the moment

OP posts:
Please
or

allatsea · 08/07/2004 01:47

bump

OP posts:
Please
or

allatsea · 08/07/2004 22:02

bump

OP posts:
Please
or

Hayls · 08/07/2004 22:29

Just back from Ilfracombe and it was lovely. Unfortunately we couldn't do much as I got ill the day we left but there seemed to be wuite e lot to do. I know that Ilfracombe has an aquarium (didn't make it but was recommended)and a pavilion with theatre/cinema and a reasonable good cafe. Sorry I don't know much about anywhere else in N Devon. WE're going back next hols to make up for it!

Please
or

Kittypickle · 08/07/2004 22:31

Have a look at the milky way and the big sheep We've been to both and DD (she was around 2 or 3 at the time) enjoyed both (it was raining at the time !)

Please
or

bea · 08/07/2004 22:40

if you feel like a bit of retail therapy and a bit rainy go to atlantic village , lots of shops! a cadbury outlet shop!, banana bookshop (a;ways good for cheapy little books and pressies!) and a new childrens outdoor indoor adventure thingy!... can second big sheep and milky way... and Ilfracombe! was there two weekends ago, in laws live in bideford so know the area quite well. on saturday mornings there's the Pannier Market in bideford which is always fun for a little mooch around (though don;t expect too much!)Bideford is nice too.

have fun!

Please
or

bea · 08/07/2004 22:55

dh has just come downstairs with more suggestions as it's his home town...

Instow beach is also a nice sandy beach, he said 'warn them about the traffic through barnstaple' if you're heading towards ilfracombe from bideford... just be aware that the journey can be a bit of a nighmare with a fair few stop and starts... (an hours journey if traffic not too bad!)

Northam Burrows has a lovely pebble ridge - if feeling adventurous with kiddies),
instow beach is great for a beach but watch the tide,

westward Ho! beach is a bit wavy too!
(Dh is coming out with ideas and suggestions fast and furious now!)

Hartland Quay has magnificent views of the cliffs, you can get to the beach and rock pools at low tide, with a good pub friendly to kiddies (i.e. it's got highchairs!!) - you have to pay about a £1 to reach the quay... but the views are spectacular

Northam Pool has lots to offer with kiddies pool if in need to escape the rainy weather
Braunton Burrows - if you're into nature, lots of flora and fauna

Rosemoor Gardens just south of Torrington is a nice place, good cafe and pleasant walks (the gardens are massive) RHS so you have to pay to go in!

If you are into walks the walk from Westward Ho along the coast path (heading west) is lovely on a sunny eveing (if you can get a baby sitter!)

The Tarka Trail - you can hire bikes and cycle to the Puffing Billy (pub, standard pub fare and kiddie friendly) Bideford heading towards torrington.

hope this helps....!!!

Please
or

allatsea · 09/07/2004 14:12

THANK YOU BEA! That's great - and thanks to your dh too!

OP posts:
Please
or

bea · 13/07/2004 12:17

allatsea - ooo! make sure you tell us how you got on!!!

Please
or

beetroot · 13/07/2004 13:05

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?