Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

any good website for villas in pollensa mallorca? and info if you've been

26 replies

katierocket · 01/07/2004 15:45

any info/tips greatly received. After reading glowing reviews on this site about pollensa we are looking to get a villa for a week.

is it best to be near old town or the port?

OP posts:
Please
or

Janh · 01/07/2004 15:49

Holiday Rentals (Puerto Pollensa page) - it's my favourite website for villas etc!

Please
or

katierocket · 01/07/2004 21:44

OP posts:
Please
or

hewlettsdaughter · 01/07/2004 22:39

try vintage travel - we stayed in one of their villas in pollenca a couple of years ago. the old town is nice.

Please
or

hewlettsdaughter · 01/07/2004 22:42

their prices seem to have gone up though

Please
or

katierocket · 02/07/2004 00:44

thanks - found a lovely one on vintage travel, anyone ever used 'james villas'?

OP posts:
Please
or

bluestar · 03/07/2004 11:54

pollensa pines and marfan travel both have some nice villas/apartments. I went to Puerto Pollensa this year and it was great.

Please
or

katierocket · 03/07/2004 13:24

thanks bluestar.
I've booked the villa now. Not going until 18th Sep - hope it will still be hot then!
Any restaurant recommendations?

can't wait - first holiday for 3 years.

OP posts:
Please
or

marialuisa · 03/07/2004 13:31

Hi KatieRocket, it's my dad's home village (well, nearest village) taking DD out there in a fortnight for our duty visit.

If you want to be in the town I think the pine Walks end is nicer than the Marina/Llenaire end.

Sprinkle bread crumbs on top of the water and you will be surrounded by tonnes of fish (DD loves to do this and also likes her Papi to catch them in his hands which is quite an art).

There's a soft play near the post office if it rains/gets too hot.

The indian (Everest) near Euroski supermarket is actually really good. nothing like the stuff you get in the UK.

Sorry, can't help with villas as my charming father has a "no kids" rule.

Would recommend hiring a car unless you are total beach bums although the buses are ok they are horribly crowded in high season.

Please
or

hewlettsdaughter · 03/07/2004 13:33

you'll love it

can't recommend restaurants but can recommend bbqs on the patio with cava!

Please
or

katierocket · 03/07/2004 18:03

sounds great. We're actually staying near the old town but we'll definitely have a car and intend to go down to the beach. Love the sound of the fish coming up to be fed.

OP posts:
Please
or

bluestar · 03/07/2004 19:04

Indoor play centre is small and on the wet day we went, it was very busy and there are not many places for parents to sit so best to avoid unless desperate (we were!!).

Good restaurant recommendations in Puerto Pollensa: Tiberi (near market square) - stir-fry type menu, small & intimate (but also great with kids) and Los Zarzales (opposite end from Pine Walk) - posh restaurant (table cloths etc.) but were also great with kids and food was fab. Also do a taxi service.

Please
or

Pagan · 03/07/2004 19:23

see my previous thread for Mallorca. We stayed just outside the Port at the Pollentia Club Resort. Although not a villa, the village accomm was just as good and you could always upgrade and get a suite. I'd go for staying in the port rather than the town itself as it's nice to be by the sea.

Please
or

triplets · 04/07/2004 00:30

My favourite favourite place. We owned an apt their for 10 years and sold it after our son died. Really regret that now we should have kept it for a while then bought a larger on after my trio were born. We took them out two years ago and rented a large apt for a month and we are going back next year. Our favourite reastraunt is Tangos, its a bit upmarket but Manolo and the rest of the staff are fab with kids, they have live music and you can dance under the stars and the waiters often dance with you too, the kids love it. You must have a drive up into the montains, the scenery is stunning, the cave of Drach are also well worht a visit depending on your childrens ages.

Please
or

Zeebee · 04/07/2004 17:15

Katierocket, we love Pollensa old town, great for a good wander. envy{} Def go to the market on Sunday, lots of locals there, fab fresh produce, cheap olives. Restaurant faves in old town include La Font De Gall, one of islands oldest restaurants and now run by Brit couple. Excellent food - go for lunch after the market as its a few streets away. Club pollensa on the main square is great for tapas and the italian there is also great.

Our favourite beaches (small and shelving)are at Cala San Vicente, just a short and pretty drive away and easy/free parking. Hotel Niu at the first bay does excellent paella.

Also great paella at Bahia on Pine Walk and a restaurant on the main Puerto P/Pollensa road, by the Cala sa vicente turn off - called something grill I think.

For car hire we found majorca-carhire.com the cheapest. We've always booked our accoommodation with Open Holidays.

Have fun - wish we were going again!

Please
or

Zeebee · 04/07/2004 17:16

Hmmm, not got to grips with smileys yet!!

Please
or

fionagib · 04/07/2004 17:40

we had a lovely time in purto pollensa 2 years running katie-r. Agree that pine walk end of the town much nicer - there's a lovely mid range restaurant called little italy - fab food, v handsome waiters! What we loved about the seafront restaurants was that the kids could play on the beach in full sight of us while we ate and drank wine (we did this till late in the evening -this pile of visiting and local kids were having races along the sand.

Please
or

katierocket · 04/07/2004 18:02

ooo I am very excited now - but ages to wait really

thanks for the info re; restaurants and car hire

OP posts:
Please
or

Allegra · 04/07/2004 23:49

I've been checking out these sites and found some lovely properties but can anyone tell me what the weather will be like for October halfterm? Or rather, can anyone share their experience of previous years in October? I'm feeling pressurised
to book something quickly before all the local half-term flights get booked up so it would be great if someone could reply quickly.

Please
or

triplets · 08/07/2004 01:09

Hi Allegra,
We had lots of friends who used our apt (when we had it), in Oct and they were still on the beach! I think the only down side is that alot of shops/restaurants will have closed, but having said that they are usuallt the touristy ones, you`ll find the good local ones still buzzing! P Pollensa is the place to go!

Please
or

Allegra · 10/07/2004 01:17

Thanks,triplets. That's good to know. I had decided to go anyway and I've checked out the weather statistics but it's more reassuring to hear first hand from someone. I wouldn't be so bothered if we weren't having such a dismal wet summer so far!

Please
or

Chandra · 10/07/2004 01:24

Well... DH used to run at the beach and then take a dip on the sea in... January. Rare for a Mallorcan but common for many English

Please
or

assumpta · 10/07/2004 16:49

Katierocket, Pollensa is great, you will love it. We love the old town, but to be honest you really need a car with most of the villas, and it takes a 10 minute drive to get from old town to the Port. Out of interest, did you get a deal on flights for half term or find that they are really expensive at that time.

Please
or

Allegra · 10/07/2004 18:14

I've researched flights for October half term though I haven't booked yet. They are disgustingly double the price of the previous week. Or, at least the ones from our nearest airport are. I know, for I got the dates of half term wrong and found lots of cheap flights for the previous week, then got a shock when I realised my mistake.

Please
or

bluestar · 11/07/2004 12:06

katierocket, I have a copy of a local tourist magazine distributed in Puerto Pollensa from my holiday - guide to 2004 - or something. If you would like it, contact me through contact another talker and I will post to you.

Please
or

katierocket · 11/07/2004 17:30

thanks bluestar - I will!

I have to say that I am really looking forward to it after all these comments.

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?