Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Recommend a holiday for us, please

3 replies

SoftFroggie · 21/06/2004 20:01

At last, I've got DH to commit to a week (or maybe two) off work :-)
so I can book us a lovely holiday - but don't know where / what. We've not really holidayed with a kid yet.

We need to meet the following criteria, and so I'm increasingly stuck for ideas ...

It's for me, DH and our 20mo DS.
We need to go in Aug, or first week of Sept (so pretty short notice).
I don't like very hot weather at anytime, and will be between 23 and 29 weeks pregnant, so will be overheating - probaly upto high 20s OK.
We like something that is both easy, and a bit independant.
We would like to go abroad (have lots of trips in UK) but don't want to go long-haul.

I rather liked the look of Villa Pia on the mumsnet reviews section - but guess they'll be booked, and that it'll be too hot.
I also like the idea of Scandinavia.

We're lucky not to be on much of a budget, so could spend a bit for something we'll love, but are suficiently tight to mind spending loads and not loving it!

Any suggestions! Mnay thanks...

OP posts:
Please
or

Janh · 21/06/2004 20:55

In Scandinavia the schools start back mid-Aug, so holiday places tend to start shutting up shop then. We had a hol in Sweden either side of back-to-school 2 years ago, the weather was fab but we did find facilities closing quite rapidly; had a side trip to Legoland in Denmark though and that was fantastic, even 13-yr-old DS1 enjoyed it, from what I've heard of Legoland Windsor this was much nicer.

I think the weather in the Balearics would be cool enough and there are lots of different styles of places (IYSWIM) - check out Holiday Rentals - this is the Spain section but if you go back a step they have the rest of Europe too.

Please
or

LIZS · 22/06/2004 09:40

If you are not looking for beach and guaranteed sun then how about the Alps. If you stayed somewhere near a lake it would be cooler with boat trips and paddling for the little one. We took ds to St Anton in Austria at 15 months and we walked a bit, took cable cars, hired bikes and just pottered around. Some resorts have spas and outdoor pools too. We've visited a number of Swiss resorts for short breaks with varying age kids.

If you are happy to go independently you could book budget flights, train/car hire and hotel/apartment separately. Otherwise there are a number of operators who do packages, some of which would include childcare if you wanted time together.

Please
or

LIZS · 22/06/2004 09:43

Alternatively what about the Swiss/Italian lakes such as Como, Lugano and Garda.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?