Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Barcelona...( without kids) what not to miss?

6 replies

unicorn · 18/06/2004 15:33

Very excited... am going next week for my 40th (eek) with an old school pal.
Have never been before.
So... we have 3 days... what MUST we do/see (apart from relaxing in the Spanish sunshine!)
Any recommended restaurants/bars etc etc
(and anything NOT worth doing that all the books suggest?)

OP posts:
Please
or

unicorn · 18/06/2004 15:51

Anybody been??

OP posts:
Please
or

Tinker · 18/06/2004 15:55

unicorn - there are quite a few threads on Barcelona. Just do a search for threads with Barcelona in the title.

Please
or

ZolaPola · 18/06/2004 15:57

casa batlo (can't go in normally but view from outside)
walk up the ramblas
train to Sitges - great for beach, beauty, lovely cafes, seafood
Quatro Gats for lunch
Picasso museum
seafood restaurants
wonderful catalan food -my knowledge is out of date for restaurants, but usually rough guide/time out guides good..
cathedral
seeing dancing - sardanas ?? i think in the main square

Please
or

marialuisa · 18/06/2004 16:03

Eat at Hostal de Rita (good with kids too), very cheap (but is quite smart looking) and very popular, lots of regional dishes.

Go to Parc Guell, I'm less impressed by Gaudi's house (and is a pain as you queue to get tickets to go back later!)

Sagrada Familia

Drink cava

Please
or

phatcat · 18/06/2004 16:13

There's a v. good restaurant right on the beach at the far end of the prom (the end by the marina and the posh hotel). Can't remember it's name - it's a trendy place, good vfm and fab food. We went for a late lunch and stayed for the afternoon.

The cable car from the beach to the left hand side of the city is a must-do - fabulous views. We went at the last push-up and got it to ourselves.

The food market off the Ramblas is definitely worth a look if you're a foodie - a dedicated mushroom stall for example, plus a superb fish bar for a stand up lunch.

I was disappointed in the Sagrada Familia tbh - it looks kinda unfinished and quite small. Of course you've got to see it but don't expect a 7th wonder of the world as I did!

HTH - enjoy!

Please
or

sponge · 18/06/2004 16:14

Stroll down the Ramblas to the port. Sit and have lunch in one of the harbour restaurants and watch the world go by. Go to the Sagrada Familia and look at the other Gaudi houses. Stroll round the old quarter (Barri Gotic). Take the cable car up to the hilltop park bit. Great food market at the top of the Ramblas. Buy leather goods - we found great shop towards to of Via Laietana. Go to the beach.
We had a couple of great dinners at Cafe de l'Acedemia (buzzy), Taxidermista (bog brasserie type place in fab square) and Pla (more experimental but great food and place) and a rather disappointing one at Can Culleretes (depsite its being recommended in the Time Out guide).
Have a great time - it's a brilliant city.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?