Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Kent & West Sussex Steam railway

7 replies

Fio2 · 16/06/2004 10:28

There is a Thomas Tank Engine weekend this weekend and next weekend at tenterden. Has anyone been before? Is it worth it?

OP posts:
Please
or

homebird11 · 17/06/2004 21:05

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

emmatmg · 17/06/2004 21:10

Romney, hythe and dymchurch is a miniture passenger railway. The carriages are enclosed and I think I'm right in saying it is the smallest passneger railway in the world. The last time we wnet there was a group of german train fanatics and they told DH all about R, H & D.

I assume the Tenterden thomas weekend is a full size railway as we've been to the thomas days when they're at the watercress line. Excellent day out for Thomas fans.

Please
or

foxinsocks · 17/06/2004 21:14

haven't been to tenterden but here's my thread when we went to Watercress (in my old days when I was stamford!)!

days out with thomas

Please
or

Marina · 18/06/2004 11:15

The Kent & East Sussex Railway is wonderful, Fio2, whether there is a Thomas weekend on or not. The crowds will be bigger when Thomas is in town, I guess. The line takes you to within a short walk of Bodiam Castle, an NT ruined castle which is great to explore and has a level access approach. I must admit we never do the Thomas weekends because they cost extra and there is always heaps to see anyway. The countryside is lovely, there is plenty of parking at Tenterden and the usual facilities like picnic area, small playground etc.
Off to start a separate thread on the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch, which we did a couple of weeks ago and which was also wonderful but very different!

Please
or

Fio2 · 21/06/2004 09:54

Thanks everyone for the advice, sorry I didnt reply sooner! We decided not to go on the thomas day in the end because we thought it would be a bit busy so we have decided to go on a 'normal' day instead. I think my children would think all the trains were like thomas anyway because of their age (4 & 2)

marina I will look at the RH&D one aswell because that is just as close to us. Thanks

any more tips for days out in Kent? there seems plenty of things to do down here. DH wants to visit one of the castles, which one would any of you recommend?

OP posts:
Please
or

charliecat · 21/06/2004 10:14

Knole in sevenoaks is 2.50 for parking and its a lovely place to go for a stroll and a picnic, theres a big house as well but thats not of much interest to the kids, but theres lots of deer that come right up close and theres fallen trees to climb over and hills to run up and down and play hide n seek etc.

Please
or

homebird11 · 22/06/2004 09:19

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?