Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Going organic in France

12 replies

Purp · 28/05/2002 21:48

Can you get organic baby food easily in France? On another thread someone mentioned that French baby food is really good but didn't say if it was organic. Also, what about organic fresh fruit and vegetables? Are they in most supermarkets?

I've been to France about a million times but not for about 6 years and as we are going next month with 8 month old DD I now care more about these things. (We are going to Normandy.) Thanks.

OP posts:
Please
or

Azzie · 28/05/2002 22:05

In my experience the big supermarkets usually have an organic fruit and veg section - don't know about organic baby food though.

Where are you going in Normandy?

Please
or

Purp · 28/05/2002 22:11

Hello again, Azzie! We are renting a cottage in St Lo some miles south of Caen. I'm a bit hazy about the details, I'm much more laid back about these things post baby. Fingers crossed that we don't get the short straw re the cottage. We booked through a company who use John Noakes as their advertising guy because we thought good old John Noakes wouldn't let us down!

OP posts:
Please
or

Azzie · 28/05/2002 22:17

We spent a week near Avranches in Normandy the year before last - we went with VFB because out of the high season they let you book a 4-bedroom cottage for the price of 2-bedroom one - this means that you get more living space for 2 small children to infest when the weather isn't good . We had a brilliant time. Last year we went to the Dordogne - the gite was lovely, except that the galleried landing had railings so far apart that the kids could get their heads through them - and of course if the head fits, so will the body. We had a vigilant holiday!

Please
or

Marina · 29/05/2002 10:39

Purp, your best bet for a good choice of stuff en route to your gite is the Carrefour at Herouville St Clair on the NE outskirts of Caen. We find Carrefour has organic fruit and veg, milk and dairy produce more regularly than most other chains. St Lo will have its own supermarkets of course and with the French policy of stocking local you might be in for a pleasant surprise if there are any local agriculteurs bio.
French baby food usually has salt added, by the way - even the organic ranges.
Have a great holiday and enjoy the wonderful Norman countryside!

Please
or

pupuce · 29/05/2002 13:48

It is harder to find organic baby food and baby food in general will have salt (sel) and sugar (sucre). So do read the labels if this is something important to you.
Organic is Biologique (or Bio for short even though the Danone yogourt called Bio isn't organic!!!)
You will find organic fresh fruits and veg easily (but not as easily as in the UK). There is often one stall at the local market which will sell organic produce. The hypermarche usually have some - worth asking.
The Soil Association equivalent is AB with a green logo (Agriculture Biologique)
There are also more and more dedicated organic shops. Ask around as they may not always be visible.

Please
or

Purp · 29/05/2002 15:43

Oh good, glad to see we won't be infested with chemicals for those two weeks although we'll eat out a lot and it doesn't seem to worry me then. Thanks for all the info.

OP posts:
Please
or

pupuce · 29/05/2002 18:32

BTW they have Hipp and Babynat overthere... both organic.

Please
or

Tinkerbell · 29/05/2002 19:34

Babynat is fantastic and is the only jarred fruit I buy now, although it is quite expensive (from Planet Organic in London - not sure who else stocks it) so looking to stock up a bit when in France next week!. Not tried their veg jars yet but will do and will let you know how they go down.

Pupuce, thanks for all that! You come up with some great information. I'm printing your message and taking it with me!!

Please
or

Tinkerbell · 29/05/2002 19:36

Oh and on Babynat, the ingredients never say they include salt or sugar but not sure what the rules are like on jar labelling in France...although these labels are in English, so does that mean they have to comply with British laws???

Please
or

aloha · 29/05/2002 19:51

Yes, they do. It's the only jar food my ds liked. I think it's good. I use the milk too when he's with the childminder and in cooking.

Please
or

Marina · 29/05/2002 20:00

Tinkerbell, you wait and see how much CHEAPER Babynat is over there. And the Vrai range of organic yogurts and puddings...etc, etc. We used to stock up big-time on our way back to the ferry.

Please
or

pupuce · 29/05/2002 21:34

Babynat is available online at goodnessdirect.
I think www.goodnessdirect.co.uk

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?