Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Concorde

4 replies

Mima · 28/05/2002 19:35

We are off to NY in October. Debating whether to go on normal transatlantic flight on go by Concorde. Has anyone taken children or babies on Concorde or know of anyone that has. What effect to you think it would have on babies ears?

OP posts:
Please
or

Rhiannon · 28/05/2002 20:00

Can't imagine it'll make any difference, have never heard of it b4. Sounds fab. let us know if you do it. R

Please
or

jessi · 28/05/2002 20:46

I've always wondered about the noise thing too, but apparantly when you are in concorde you don't hear it as your travelling so fast, the noise comes after the plane!

Please
or

SueW · 28/05/2002 21:08

A friend of mine took her son on Concorde last month - he would have been about 3mo. By all accounts, they had a fantastic trip and he was spoilt by the crew.

There were only around 40 passengers on the flight (capacity is 100 I think) and he got a seat to himself.

They came back on a normal BA flight, First Class.

Please
or

leese · 29/05/2002 17:58

Mima - have just asked my husband, who has worked on Concorde - he says it will have absolutely no difference on a childs ears - cabin presssure is the same regardless of aircraft/height (apparently Concorde cruises about 60,000 ft, as opposed to about 35,000 ft).
Just to point out, Concorde is really quite a small aircraft (for obvious aero-dynamic reasons), so cabin space is at a premium. Would you be better flying normal transatlantic flight business or first class? Would cost less, and would be more space if your little one fancied a move around.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?