Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Cheap but fun seaside holiday?

14 replies

mammya · 08/06/2004 21:23

I have only 1 week's break this summer and would very much like to go away with dd (3.3), preferably to the seaside. The problem is that I don't have much of a budget so it have to be camping or youth hostelling in the UK. And it has to be at the end of August. But where to go? Has anyone got any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

OP posts:
Please
or

gothicmama · 08/06/2004 21:52

Shel island by barmouth in Wales is nice, or try lakes or dales depending on whether you mind teh rain -

Please
or

mammya · 08/06/2004 21:58

I'm not keen on a rainy holiday... but it might be unavoidable! I quite fancy Cornwals or Devon.

OP posts:
Please
or

mammya · 08/06/2004 23:30

How about the Isle of Wight? Has anyone been there? Good beaches? Things to do with a 3.5 year old dd?
I'm only planning to go for a few days, 4-5 days or so. Can anyone recommend a camping or caravan site? There's two youth hostels, one in Sandown and the other in Totland Bay, on the West side. Anyone know anything?

OP posts:
Please
or

Fairyfly · 08/06/2004 23:38

I have taken mine to Abersoch, not a great camping site for me, but the kids loved it, i went with friends to Fistral sp? in Newquay and am trying to take the kids back there this summer but all the hostels are fully booked, don't know about camping. Spent the day at the beach with my little one yesterday and i think any beach is child friendly really, wouldn't let him in the sea though, i wanted his feet to stay pink and not fall off. Hope you have fun x

Please
or

jema · 09/06/2004 00:11

just come back from adgestone campsite IOW, 1x 5, 1x8 fantastic time, campsite has swimming pool, for the 3 of us £10 per night- very clean- incredible value

Please
or

Bunglie · 09/06/2004 00:21

Mammya - I once camped at Bembridge on the Isle of Wight. Really good. I was with dh, but there was lots of things for kids to do there and it was about £5 a night about 10 years ago!! but they had a sort of club place where you could get food, so no cooking and special childrens entertainment. It was quite cheap to go over on the ferry from Portsmouth and only a couple of miles from Ryde. We had a great time.

Please
or

bluesky · 09/06/2004 09:32

mammya, i dont know about camping or youth hostelling, but can recommend the Torquay, Paignton, Brixham areaa. We stayed in Brixham, nice beaches, and then very easy to go along the coast by bus to the other two. Paignton had crazy golf which my 3 yr old loved and other fun things, a steam railway which was a big hit, and then on into Torquay for a Sea Life centre, big boats to look at, indoor play centre (inside a church) for really wet days. Boat trips go from Torquay. (one also connects Brixham to Torquay). There is a zoo in Paignton too which my two loved. Would really recommend the area, as there is alot to do in a small area, all easily connected.

Please
or

Twinkie · 09/06/2004 10:19

Mammya - (Hi how are you and DD??) - I know a friend who is a single mum and she always uses the vouchers out of the Sun newspaper to get cheap holidays away - I think she has been to Devon and Grt Yarmouth and thnks they are great - accomodation not the Ritz but her 2 love it and they have the most fun ever - look out on TV for the adverts and I will ask her to tell me when they are doing the offer agin - they had their last holday for about £20!!

Please
or

mammya · 09/06/2004 21:48

Oh thank you all, I've had a at some websites about the Isle of Whight and really would like to go there. I'll have a look at all your recommendations.

Twinkie I am fine, how are YOU? You must have a nice bump by now... And how is your lovely dd? My dd has started going to ballet, has the oufit, loves it!

OP posts:
Please
or

mammya · 10/06/2004 23:36

Isle of Wight, even.

OP posts:
Please
or

charliecat · 10/06/2004 23:39

You know those little advertising cards that are all sitting in a stand in pubs or at tourist attractions, well there a isle of wight one that is an offer for £55, not sure if thats just to get there or a weekend or what but look out for it. Hope you know what im talking about!

Please
or

verona · 14/06/2004 21:17

Mammya, I've just returned from a week on the Isle of Wight and it was fab. I've got a 2 and a 3 year old and they both had a brilliant time.
Would definitely recommend Blackgang Chine -loads for a 3 yr old to do. The beaches are great, too. We also did the IOW zoo and Colemans Farm.
We stayed in Bembridge on the east which was a nice village with some decent restaurants, apparently (not that we ate out unless you count fish and chips in the garden)
There was an article in this week's Sunday Times about IOW singing its praises.

Please
or

mammya · 26/06/2004 13:28

Well I have booked something on the Isle of Wight, we're going to stay for a few days in a youth hostel in Totnes Bay. Soooo looking forward to it! Now it's just hoping the weather will be ok...

OP posts:
Please
or

katie37 · 26/06/2004 16:06

If you go to Blackgang chine you can return free the same week also a deal ith BC and Robin Hill that you can combine both and pay for 2 days out and get 4. RH is an adventure park for children prob a bit older. Go to Blackgang and it will take all day of fun. If you go at night it is all lit up.

best beaches on SE coast.

My dad and family are from IOW so we went several times a year as children. Have taken DH and DS loads of times. Loves it.

Only downside now is the amount of traffic in school holidays

Blackgang has also been disappearing into the sea since we were kids the coastline is erroding.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?