Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

North Cornwall - things to do

9 replies

Boogie · 06/06/2004 08:14

We're off on holiday to Porth in North Cornwall at the end of the month and would appreciate recommendations for things to do/places to go with our kids. We're quite outdoorsy and like walking, cycling etc, so any suggestions would be great. Also, can anyone suggest particularly good/pretty beaches to visit with them. They like buckets and spades, building sandcastles etc., but also exploring rock pools and stuff like that. Finally, any recommendations for good places to eat out with them. Many thanks for any help.

OP posts:
Please
or

helenmc · 06/06/2004 18:24

the beaches are fantastic - but watch out for the currents , as they are extremely dangerous, so look out for lifeguards and is it the Blue beach award(?) I spent many a happy hour as a kid at Perranporth rolling down the sand dunes, and rock pooling at Polzeath and Porthreath. Have a greate time

Please
or

Pook · 06/06/2004 18:25

Not entirely sure where Porth is. I spent every summer as a child at Porthcothan Bay, which is a few miles south of Padstow.
If you're in that kind of area I'd really recommend Constantine Bay which is immediately next to Booby's Bay. Fantastic rock pools at Booby's and the northern side of Constantine. Massive dunes and beautiful sandy beach. You can park there or go up towards the Trevose Head lighthouse where there is another car park with a clifftop scramble down to Booby's. Go at low tide.
For swimming, Constantine does have life guards (the currents can be a bot treacherous). If you want a more crowded boogie board experience, go to Polzeath, which is north of Padstow, or Harlyn/Trevone/Treyarnon, all of which are fab beaches and great fun.
Another beaut of a beach is Bedruthan Steps. It's reached by very very steep steps (so not ideal for really tiny babes) but as a result can feel less crowded than others. There's a NT teashop at the top which does really quite good food.
The Camel Trail runs from Padstow to Wadebridge and beyond along the Camel estuary. It is a disused railway line turned into a cycle path. Can get very busy, but excellent cycle hire. Buy a pasty in Padstow, parking near the old railway line, then eat a picnic along the way.
Also, try and get a ferry from Padstow to Rock (avoiding the hoorays) where there are enormous dunes (Mount Everest) and rather nice beaches. Also a sailing school so you can watch the sailors and windsurfers. Older children may enjoy (I did!) the speedboats which run from Padstow (Jaws/Jaws 2).
Above all, try and do some walks along the north cornwall coastal path which is absolutely gorgeous. I feel so so jealous - wish I was going this year too!

Please
or

prettycandles · 06/06/2004 21:35

Can recommend Eden Project and Lapa Valley - especially Lapa. Newquay Aquarium is also good, and has a niceish beach with an enormous rockpool. Porth Beach itself is lovely, as is the headland for a windy walk, and there are several gorgeous beaches north of Porth. There is another beach called Crannock, or Crantock or something similar (sorry, can't remember exactly!) which is great when the tide is out (so is Porth beach, as it happens). There's a long walk from the carpark to the beach itself, but when the tide is out part of the riverbed turns into a series of clear relatively shallow pools.

Are you going to Sands Resort?

Please
or

ks · 06/06/2004 21:38

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

Please
or

codswallop · 06/06/2004 21:39

wondered wher ethe hell you had been kays

Please
or

Boogie · 07/06/2004 21:32

We are going to Sands as it happens. Hope it's OK as have heard mixed reviews. Too late now though! Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

OP posts:
Please
or

sugarplumfairy · 08/06/2004 11:54

We go to Bude every year there are two great beaches and a big sea water swimming pool. Had a trip to Polzealth last year serious surfing beach but little ones can also have a go. Having been to Eden and Heligan which are good but v. crowded would recommend Trebah Gardens near to Eden but loads quieter, nice walks, fantastic gardens Diurmid and Laurence did something for Homefront there and leads to an amazing secluded beach where some of the boats for D Day left from. We think it was one of our best days out ever.

Please
or

prettycandles · 08/06/2004 14:31

On the whole, Sands gets the thumbs-up from me. It's not my favourite, but it's fine. BTW, you can hire all-terrain buggies from the hotel for a very reasonable rate.

Please
or

robinw · 10/06/2004 05:51

message withdrawn

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?