Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Baby listening

7 replies

Ellaroo · 17/05/2002 19:51

I am trying to book a holiday somewhere in England and a lot of hotels seem to offer 'baby listening' - does anyone know exactly what this is and if so what are your experiences of it? Is it safe??? Thanks in advance.

OP posts:
Please
or

LIZS · 19/05/2002 10:29

We stayed at Sands Resort in Cornwall with Baby listening service. Basically it works through the phone so that a receptionist can monitor the noise in each 'live' room once you have set it up. They should then notify you of any crying etc whereever you say you are in the hotel (bar, restaurant etc.) Its safety/success depends on your confidence in the staff to let you know of any problems. But we had no problems with it and it does give you a bit of a break. Alternatively your own BabyIntercom may work over the required distance (so long as noone else is on the same frequency in which case you might monitor someone else's baby!). With Babylistening do remember to switch it off when you go to bed otherwise you may have an audience!!

Please
or

IDismyname · 19/05/2002 11:18

The Wooley Grange, Moonfleet and The Old Bell Hotels have baby listening. We went with 2 other couples and 3 small children. We were up and down from dinner most of the night, and gave the receptionist her nickname - The Grim Reaper, as we knew when she turned up, it was going to be one of our children crying!!
It worked very well, tho', based on the telephone system as LIZS says.

Please
or

LizP · 19/05/2002 23:07

We've just come back from Bedruthan Steps (Cornwall) - they have baby listening - not the phones - some sort of extra monitor you press. If anything they were too vigalent - I went up once and he had gone back to sleep - must have just been a few small yells which we ignore at home!

Please
or

Cityfreak · 21/05/2002 12:14

We went to Sardinia with Mark Warner last year and children were unwelcome at dinner. You were supposed to use the baby listening service, which consisted of leaving the child alone in the room and every 15 minutes a nanny would physically go and stand outside the door to listen. If the child was crying she'd walk over to the restaurant to fetch you. A lot of parents used this but I thought it was unsafe and mean to let a child cry in a strange hotel room all alone. Also, my son could climb out of the cot and knew how to open the door to the balcony, so I thought he could easily have met with accident in 15 minutes. Why don't you ring up the hotel and ask exactly what they offer and then you can decide if it would suit your child?

Please
or

Ems · 21/05/2002 14:20

LizP would you recommend Bedruthan?

Please
or

wmf · 22/05/2002 20:59

Some hotels give you baby monitors, some have a baby monitor system at reception, but some use the room telephone, which means that the receptionist listens in every so often - I don't like that one!

I highly recommend Knoll House on the south coast (near Swannage). They'll lend you a baby monitor for daytime naps, and at night 'housekeepers' patrol the corridors (in sufficient numbers) to listen for the babies/children until about 11pm. They will page you if the baby cries, you can tell them to wait a few minutes first in case the baby settles, or, if you prefer, they will go into the room and try to settle the baby themselves.

Please
or

rosehip · 30/05/2002 21:22

The Carlyon Bay Hotel in St Austell is very child
friendly, excellent facilities, good position, own golf course. We stayed there when I was pregnant with first child and remember lots of people at dinner with their baby monitors!!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?