Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Winchester/Southampton/Portsmouth

20 replies

mummysurfer · 25/05/2004 21:55

we are going to stay with a friend for half term. do any of you know this area and could recommend a dayout with dd 8 and ds5
zoo?
museum?
NT?

OP posts:
Please
or

acnebride · 25/05/2004 21:59

I will be one of several recommending this but the dockyards at Portsmouth are fantastic for this age group i would have thought

Please
or

acnebride · 25/05/2004 22:00

o, also i took my nieces who were about the same age to the \link{http://www.explosion.org.uk/\Explosion Museum at Gosport. Quite a lot of info to take in but lots of good stuff.

Please
or

mummysurfer · 25/05/2004 22:01

they would love that AB. we went to see Britannia in Edinburgh 2 years ago and they still talk about it.
thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

stringbean · 25/05/2004 22:06

Marwell Zoo is just south of Winchester, and is great for a day out (ds loves it; we have a season ticket, so he goes there a lot!). There's also Paulton's Park off the M27, which might be more fun; it has animals/birds and lots of rides centred around gardens and a lake (it has a website if you want to check it out, think it's www.paultonspark.co.uk). Or the naval dockyards at Portsmouth are well worth a visit - combine it with a trip to Gunwharf Quays for outlet shopping and lunch. Or the New Forest - loads of walks, and Moors Valley Country Park (near Ringwood) has an aerial walkway through the trees which has been receommended to me (but I haven't made it there yet). There's also the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu (but years since I've been there, so not sure what it's like). Boat trip to the Isle of Wight to see Osborne House in East Cowes (again, never been, but I heard it advertised on the radio today!). I think that's probably enough to be going on with.

Please
or

Tommy · 25/05/2004 23:13

Stringbean - I'm very impressed - I was just going to write something useful when I found that you have done it all already! Do you live round here? We should get together - you know all the best places to go

Please
or

polly28 · 25/05/2004 23:38

moors valley is always a hit with children,cheap day out,parking is about a fiver for the day and you can picnic or eat in the tearoom.There is a playtrail which takes about an hour and a half at the least ,loads of stuff to climb on,tree top trail,train,adventure park,cycle hire ,golf course,ducks.If weather is good its a great day out.I live in ringwood so usually go for a quick play when it's quiet but apparently it's the umber one spot for kids in dorset.

Please
or

polly28 · 25/05/2004 23:38

paultons park is also fab

Please
or

bluesky · 26/05/2004 12:34

Paultons Park and Marwell are our two favourites when we head south, my two are similar ages.

Please
or

Penguin2 · 27/05/2004 13:49

Finkley Down Farm near Andover
Portchester Castle, Portsmouth
Hampshire Technology Centre Intech, Winchester if they like machinery etc - never been myself but recommended by a local mum with small kids
Hawk Conservancy, near Andover (birds of prey)
Plus all the others suggested already.

Please
or

mummysurfer · 28/05/2004 07:54

thanks for all of these - will look at the websites this evening

OP posts:
Please
or

lucysmum · 28/05/2004 08:22

There is a great miniature railway in Eastleigh which is in a park with lake, picnic area, play area etc. There are normally several trains running and sometimes Thomas visits ! Very low key, great value, run by volunteers. Normally only open at weekends but may open during the week in school holidays. Probably half a day out rather than a full day.

Please
or

Penguin2 · 28/05/2004 09:13

Also a small railway in a lovely park next to the Solent - Royal Victoria Country Park. Also can climb a tower and get lovely views.

Please
or

Tommy · 28/05/2004 15:12

Thomas is there this week, Penguin! Had a "waht to do in half term" thing in the local paper last night

Please
or

CountessDracula · 28/05/2004 15:16

The Watercress Line in New Alresford is old steam train too. V nice. There is also a really nice walk around the river Itchen to the old fulling mill that is worth doing.

Buckler's Hard in Beaulieu is interesting.

Please
or

mummysurfer · 28/05/2004 16:10

Tommy-
Thomas - as in Tank Engine?

OP posts:
Please
or

Tommy · 28/05/2004 16:21

yes! I think some of the others are there too - hang on, I'll go and get the thing...

Please
or

mummysurfer · 28/05/2004 16:26

that would be brill, thanks. do they have a website?

OP posts:
Please
or

Tommy · 28/05/2004 16:26

Yes - all week from 29 May to 6 June. £2.50 "Ride a train pulled by Thomas or his friends Gordon and Henry and don't forget to wave to Sir Topham Hatt on the platform as you go"
I'll try a link:
thomas

Wow - it worked! First ever try!

Please
or

mummysurfer · 28/05/2004 16:31

thanks very much tommy
we'll definitely add it to the list

OP posts:
Please
or

mummysurfer · 28/05/2004 21:28

i see marwell zoo gets a montion on this week's newsletter....does that mean there maybe a discount available?

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?