Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Mac 3 or XTS Twister

6 replies

pete · 20/05/2004 12:08

Hi
First time dad and all that and we're trying to work out which pushchair to get.
We've got it narrowed down to the Mac3 and the XTS Twister. Does anyone have either? And are they good? We live in the country but go to town once a week or so, but we really need the portability and lightness of these two models.
Also does anyone know a shop in the Reading area that actually stocks the Twister - I can only find it on line and I would like to see it first.
Cheers all
Pete

OP posts:
Please
or

NomDePlume · 20/05/2004 12:15

Just to say that I found the Mac3 awkward because it doesn't have a swivel front wheel. It's great for bumpy terrain but is a pain for corners etc ! It also is only suitable from 3 months due to the recline and the padding (even that is a push), so I would recommend buying the additional clip on carrycot, and use it for as long as your baby's size will allow. The Mac3 also comes without a shopping basket, which is a bit of a PITA (pain in the ar*e). Otherwise, I think it looks cool, the weight is a def bonus and Maclaren are really excellent on build quality.

Sorry, I know nothing about the XTS !

HTH

Please
or

pete · 20/05/2004 12:43

Thanks - tis a big help.
I did worry about the lack of the front swivel but then we don't have that many corners in the country.
And we were going for the carry cot no matter what - but the Twister can have a car seat strapped in as well!

OP posts:
Please
or

Hellythepixie · 21/05/2004 21:51

Hiya we have a twister which we are very happy with, easy to push very comfy for the babe. When we bought it we thought the swivel wheel would be v.useful but to be honest when we are at home (rural area) we have it on fixed mode all of the time because it is the best for rougher ground. My Ds is now 8 months and we have a little buggy for town rather than take the twister because it is pretty bulky and we can't get it in the boot of an Astra with out removing one of the back wheels, easy to do but still a pain. But for country walks it is great.

Please
or

midden · 21/05/2004 21:59

swivel wheel every time - fixed wheels are a nightmare to push around town and navigate in and out of shops - I would only buy a fixed wheel buggy if was going to be on rough terrain all the time (rare, unless you are planning a small umbrella buggy for town trips). At least the twister does both.

Please
or

Ixel · 22/05/2004 20:11

We got a mac3 and ended up returning it because a) the brake kept jumping out on the bus, as it sped up and slowed down and b) the back wheels were just so wide I couldn't get in alot of shop doors, or on the bus, or even through our stairwell! No good fro going to town, or anywhere you need to keep alot in the basket. Having said that, it was a shame, because the weight and steering were great. There's a shop in Kentish Town thats selling them for £30 less than everywhere else, called Baby Busstop.

Please
or

Hectic · 27/05/2004 10:53

I have an XTS Boogie (same as twister apart from the twist). It is good quality and very comfy. Haven't tried the carrycot because I bought it when my dd was a few months old ,and I am about to unpack it for my 5m old ds. We live in London and I never found the fixed front wheel a prblem; if a pushchair is well balanced,as the Boogie is, you don't need a swivel wheel. Anyway you will need it even less in the country. We had a lot of holidays in very rural areas when i last used the Boogie; it is great on sand, rocky paths etc.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?