Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

malaysia

7 replies

helenmh · 25/04/2002 14:30

Has anyone been there with kids. Can anyone recommend good places to visit/stay
thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

bossykate · 26/04/2002 19:43

hi helenmh

how old are your kids? i only went while pregnant (first one) so you would have to judge any tips i might have on that basis...

whereabouts in malaysia were you thinking of going? health risks vary quite a bit depending on location.

lorien is based in malaysia - sure she would have some good input if she were reading this...

Please
or

Mooma · 27/04/2002 10:19

In the early 1990s we took our three small children there twice. We had friends living in Miri, Sarawak (Borneo). We went to an amazing Orang Utan sanctuary near Miri, as well as a very interesting 'cultural village'.
Whilst there, we also visited Kuala Lumpur, Penang & Kota Kinabalu (from whence we went to a remote island and saw turtles laying their eggs at midnight, as well as baby turtles hatching - amazing!). In Penang, many of the hotels have children's clubs and playschemes. Lovely beaches too.
Everywhere we were made very welcome, the culture is very diverse, loads of bank holidays due to all the various religious groups. Children are particularly cherished.
Of course. this was all over 10 yrs ago, so I don't know if development has been rapid since then, and the effect this might have had on things.

Please
or

amymum · 27/04/2002 10:36

Never been there with kids, but can highly recommend the Rasa Sayang resort in Penang. Dd was conceived there on our 'last big holiday before kids'! There was a Malaysian holiday whilst we were there and loads of families were staying, so seems very child friendly.

Please
or

starmoon · 29/04/2002 13:33

Hi Helenmh,

I visited Penang about 8 years ago. We stayed at
the Golden Sands Hotel which is just along from the Rasa Sayang. The Golden Sands is 4 Star & I think the Rasa Sayang was 5 Star. In between the two hotels is the 3* Palm Beach hotel who did a wonderful breakfast outside and you could overlook the beach. We could use the facilities of the Rasa Sayang hotel aswell, so used to go there for a swim sometimes (also wonderful coctails). A friend of mine at work stayed at the Penang Muttiari Hotel for her honeymoon she said it was excellent. Didnt have my little girl when we went but lots of kids in the hotel.

Please
or

helenmh · 29/04/2002 13:39

Thanks for all the recommendations.Our kids will be 11 and 9 by the time we go. We would prefer somewhere where the health risks are minimal in answer to your question
helen

OP posts:
Please
or

bossykate · 29/04/2002 14:21

hi helenmh

if you are looking for minimal health risks, western peninsular malaysia (including penang) would be your best bet. although borneo has a lot to offer older kids in terms of wildlife, cultural interaction etc, it is much less "developed" than peninsular malaysia, where, for example, the tap water is safe to drink, there is no malaria risk, and the infrastructure is well developed.

i would also recommend the rasa sayang. it is right on the beach, there are a number of pools, gardens, restaurants etc - lots of kids there when we stayed. meals are rather expensive though, i would venture outside the hotel if you are cost sensitive, plenty of choice nearby. also, it is quite large and impersonal.

penang also has a lot to offer in terms of sightseeing - colonial history, temples, markets, traditional villages etc. the rasa sayang organises excursions, or you could consider hiring a car - we found the driving very easy everywhere we went.

downsides - very developed in the main resort area, plus the humidity, phew! at 6m pregnant, i was not able to get very far in the heat and our sightseeing was rather curtailed as a result!

if you wanted a multi centre holiday, peninsular malaysia is a very easy fly drive destination. we flew to kl, drove to the cameron highlands and then on to penang (there's a bridge!). i would highly recommend the cameron highlands. the scenery is beautiful, the climate very pleasant, with lots of very low key, low stress sight-seeing, plus fantastic and very cheap south indian food everywhere (a real highlight for me despite horrible pregnancy heartburn).

anyway, to sum up, if you want a single location, relatively safe in terms of health, with good beaches and pools, but also with cultural interest, penang is a good choice.

have a good time!

Please
or

helenmh · 30/04/2002 14:31

Thanks alot for your help. It has given us lots of ideas
helen

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?