Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Dynamic Earth, Edinburgh - anyone been?

8 replies

juniper68 · 30/04/2004 17:28

I was just wondering if it's worth taking DSs aged 6 and 3?

OP posts:
Please
or

tamum · 30/04/2004 17:33

It's pretty good. The thing to consider with the 3 year old in particular is that the first bit involves going down in a lift in which you are supposedly going back in time. It's a bit dark and noisy, and I know of some children who have been too freaked out to enjoy the rest of it. Mine have both been a few times since the age of 5 and enjoyed it. There are definitely some bits that are really good (the iceberg, for instance) so I think it's worth a go. Have fun!

Please
or

mummysurfer · 30/04/2004 17:36

we went 2 years ago so dd was 6 and ds was 3!
it was a bit hit. talked about it for ages after.
the concepts were too diff for ds but he still loved it.

Please
or

babster · 30/04/2004 17:39

We went last year and weren't that impressed - maybe the dds (3 and 1) were too young. The space 'ride' and the volcanos terrified dd1, and the rainforest downpour was more like a trickle. So we found it disappointing and quite expensive

Please
or

candy · 30/04/2004 20:02

Took dds aged 8 and 6 last Summer and LOVED it - I think it's good value for money and we especially loved the glacier (where you watch a big screen from the viepoint of a glacier moving along), the iceberg (which you can touch) and spotting the spider scuttling up the tree in the rainforest _ I highly recommend it.

Please
or

hmb · 30/04/2004 20:18

I have been and it is excellent. Children were 6 and 3 at the time. went over the three year olds head but dd enjoyed it very much and still talks about it. Agree with Tamum about the dark and the lift.

Please
or

juniper68 · 02/05/2004 21:15

thanks for your messages
can u miss out the first bit?

OP posts:
Please
or

tamum · 02/05/2004 21:38

Unfortunately not, juniper. It's the only way down as far as I know. I think if you prepare your 3 year old and keep him cuddled up he shoudl be fine, it's quite short, but only you can know, really!

Please
or

juniper68 · 03/05/2004 17:00

cheers tamum. we went to the hancock museum today, newcastle and he was scared of the dinosaurs at first but soon came round

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?