Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Where shall we go in Ireland?

11 replies

Tissy · 29/04/2004 15:38

Am determined to have a "proper" holiday this year- I miss the lovely long walking / cycling holidays we used to do when we were childless, and haven't been away, other than to relatives in over 2 years.Unfortunately we have to take the last 2 weeks of August to fit in with dss's social calendar!

I was thinking about staying in Ireland- maybe a cottage? Have done a quick search on the web, I found a surprising number of places available, but which bit of Ireland do we go for? We live in Ayrshire, so could ferry across the Irish Sea either from Troon for NI or from Stranraer for ROI. Alternatively we could fly from Prestwick, but would then presumably have to hire a car!

Would love somewhere on the coast with beaches safe enough for a 2 year old to play on, but also need places to go, things to do that wouldn't bore the pants off a sixteen year old boy.

Any ideas?

OP posts:
Please
or

twiglett · 29/04/2004 15:41

message withdrawn

Please
or

noddy5 · 29/04/2004 15:42

we went to north west coast 2 years ago and it is lovely

Please
or

carriemac · 29/04/2004 15:54

west cork is fab

Please
or

bundle · 29/04/2004 15:55

I love co. clare cos it's rugged, but somewhere like kerry or cork is probably good cos it's mild

Please
or

pickledbeetle · 29/04/2004 16:05

We had 2 beautiful weeks in Baltimore last year. Lovely quick boat trips to islands off coast with fab beaches. Lots of siling courses for older 1 if interested

Please
or

Clayhead · 29/04/2004 16:50

Went to Kinvarra, Co Galway (but near border with Co Clare) last year and it was fantastic. Near to Galway city, the Burren, Cliffs of Moher, lovely beaches etc.

Please
or

miracleabie · 29/04/2004 17:18

Hi Tissy, we are going to Caherdaniel in kerry with 8 year old and 19 year old.There are safe beaches, surfing, cycling sailing pub on beach( my fave)dolphin watching & swimming , mountains to climb,no shops to speak of and masses of kids. Also loads of cool restaurants and music in the pub every night.
if you want any info let me know. We got a house through Shamrock Cottages ( website) Also I am from N Ireland o that might be easier to get to. I can easily give you info on NI and places to go

Please
or

sexgoddess · 29/04/2004 17:31

We're hoping to go to Ireland in August too - we part own a house in Cavan and one in Kildare (family living in both though). We're looking for somewhere close to beaches but not too "cliffy" but also close-ish to a town. Youghal in Waterford/Wexford looks promising for us. About £400 for family of 4 with ferry crossing and cottage for a week.

Please
or

MeanBean · 29/04/2004 18:39

West of Ireland - Connemara, the Galway bit. Galway City is buzzing and Connemara is beautiful. Lots for everyone.

Please
or

MeanBean · 29/04/2004 18:40

And driving in Ireland is so easy, everyone is so polite and co-operative - they actually move over on to the hard shoulder when they see you want to overtake!

Please
or

Tissy · 29/04/2004 20:35

So, it looks like anywhere would be perfect! I've emailed a cottage owner in Co.Wicklow after twiglett's suggestion, but failing that I'll try some of the other places!

Had a gorgeous holiday in Donegal with dh shortly ater we started "courting". Stayed in a very damp cottage with no heating, burning peat to keep warm and reheating soup on a two-ring electric cooker. Want to try somewhere different this time though.

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?