Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Taking foodstuffs into the USA

9 replies

marialuisa · 27/04/2004 11:39

Do any of you know what the regulations are on taking food into the USA from the UK. We're off to visit friends there on friday and have a list of essential home comforts, will be ok if we declare everything (it's stuff like tea bags and baked beans, so all packaged and nothing "fresh" or are there forbidden items?

Also, please resolve a debate: can you pack cans of fizzy drink in your luggage or should they be taken on board as hand luggage?

TIA

OP posts:
Please
or

valleygirl · 27/04/2004 13:11

this will tell yuo all you need to know
www.usembassy.de/travel/b42_5.htm#food

Please
or

marialuisa · 27/04/2004 13:16

Thanks Valleygirl, looks as if we're safe with teabags, irn-bru and branston pickle!

Anyone got any ideas on the fizzy drink question?

OP posts:
Please
or

pollingfold · 27/04/2004 13:23

It might be best to put the cans in your hand luggage. The hold is not pressurised and there might be a few explosion amongst your undies ( in your luggage I mean).

When my parents lived in the states (10 years ago) I used have to take them back cheddar cheese and smoked bacon!! Rules have diffinetly tightened up since then. I got the strangest stares when I had to take two porcelain toilet brushes!!!

Please
or

marialuisa · 27/04/2004 13:33

My thoughts exactly Pollingfold. DH thinks I'm being overy dramatic. Though oddly enough when I said the irn-bru could go in his suitcase if he were so sure that he was right, he went quiet...

OP posts:
Please
or

twiglett · 27/04/2004 13:37

message withdrawn

Please
or

suedonim · 27/04/2004 15:34

Ds1 took two home-made Xmas puddings and an Xmas cake back to LA in Jan and even they were acceptable. Ds1 is sending me a list of things I'm to bring out when I visit in November. It's very sad, having to send food parcels to the US.

Please
or

JanZ · 27/04/2004 15:47

We've put IrnBru into the hold luggage - but having said, there was one occasion when one of the cans did burst - fortunately into a dark towel, so nothing was damaged (or stained!). The can did look as if it had a weakness in it though (a vertical split), and we weren't sure if it was the pressure or rough handling that had caused it.

I think since then we've kpet them in hand luggage! (or make sure they are surrounded by absorbant, dark material or in sealed bags!)

Please
or

marialuisa · 27/04/2004 15:49

Well I've only bought 6 cans so they should go into hand luggage ok. mind you it's given me a whole new picture of our friend's eating habits....

OP posts:
Please
or

SoupDragon · 27/04/2004 16:05

Be aware that US customs have sniffer dogs to check for "illegal" food stuffs in your luggage! Be prepared for some unwanted interest from a small beagle wearing a sniffer dog uniform

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?