Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

How to use stairs with double pushchair & kids in tow

7 replies

Shiny · 16/04/2002 10:46

Has anyone got any advice for getting up and down a flight of steps outside our new house with double pushchair, a 3 year old and a 17 month old who is epileptic,has developmental delays and does not walk. I do have a single pushchair but my 3 year old is not easily controllable. Also do not drive, so need the pushchair. Can anyone tell me about any disability help I can get relating to this.

OP posts:
Please
or

MandyD · 16/04/2002 11:20

What type of property do you live in? Is is local authority/housing association, privately rented or do you own it? If its LA/HA I'm surprised they allocated it to you with the steps, perhaps get on to them and see if they could provide you with a ramp. Likewise if you own the house yourself then I expect your HV could tell you who to contact to see about getting some sort of grant to get a ramp built (assuming there's space of course...)

Otherwise, you say your 3 year old is not easily controllable, nor was my son at 18 months and yet his childminder was able to get him to use a buggyboard on a single buggy. She put reins on him too and held these while he was riding on the board as a safety measure. Could he/she just possibly stand at the top of the steps while you got the buggy downstairs?

Please
or

sobernow · 16/04/2002 12:42

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

SueDonim · 16/04/2002 16:28

Shiny, perhaps you could contact your Social Services and ask if they can provide some sort of ramp for you, esp if your baby is registered as disabled? I'm not very well-up on these things but I know when my dad became ill they put in things to help him bath and get up the stairs. But you need to ask, imho, because they rarely offer these services to you. And for more support you could contact NCT on 0870 444 8707. They hold an Experiences Register and could put you in touch with someone in the same situation.

Please
or

tufty · 16/04/2002 17:44

Your health visitor may also be able to help organise to get a ramp fitted, but it does depend on your property. these situations are so tricky and yet so unrecognised by anyone who hasn't be there!

Please
or

Zoya · 16/04/2002 19:56

Lateral suggestion, Shiny: would the size of your 17 month old combined with your strength make a backpack carrier plus single buggy a feasible combo? My 11 month old adores riding in her backpack, and we have friends whose strapping 2.5 year old goes everywhere in it, never in a buggy. Might be worth a try if you could afford more kit (I've seen backpacks advertised in the mumsnet small ads!)

Please
or

bloss · 17/04/2002 00:26

Message withdrawn

Please
or

monkey · 17/04/2002 12:21

There is no possibility of leaving the puschair outside safely, eg in a garage or cupboard at the bottom of the stairs? I started leaving ours in the garage and carrying the smallest in, sometimes both when necessary. It took a couple of days to get used to it, but the hallway is now tidier with the pushchair not permanently there. I often take the smallest out and put him in the pram and then go back in for the elder one, but we do live in a quiet, safe area, and I'm 100% confident there will be no problems.

I got the impression when you said flight of stairs that it's a full flight rather than a couple of stairs, in which case a ramp may not be feasible. Why not talk to a mobility help group (either for disabled and/or elderly peopel)? They may be able to suggest alternatives or even give you more concrete help. Hope this works out for you.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?