Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

We're going to Magna, Sheffield on Wednesday ... anyone been?!

8 replies

roisin · 09/04/2004 12:36

We (dss 6 and nearly 5 and hopefully sil too) are going to Magna, Sheffield, on Wednesday. I expect it will be busy as it's holiday time. Has anyone been, and can offer any advice, recommendations, best bits, or especially popular bits to head for first before it gets crowded?

OP posts:
Please
or

SueW · 09/04/2004 13:50

We went last year with DD, then aged 6 but it was just before the summer holidays (DD broke up earlier than most schools). There were some schools there, on trips but it wasn't too busy.

The worst bits for crowds IMO were the air (right at the top) and water sections so I'd suggest heading for air first probably although it could just have been timing (it was packed with schoolchildren).

It's a good day out.

Please
or

roisin · 09/04/2004 15:16

Thanks Sue. I was anticipating spending all day there - 4-5 hrs. Do you think this is too much, or is that reasonable?

Has anyone eaten there? Good value? Or worth the hassle of taking a packed lunch?

OP posts:
Please
or

SueW · 09/04/2004 16:08

That's probably about the time we spent there. We took a packed lunch - there was a big hall where we could eat.

The cafe wasn't up to much. It might be better when busier and up to catering for more people (most people had pack-up because they were on school trips) but ISTR we couldn't even get a coffee cos the machine wasn't working.

Please
or

hmb · 11/04/2004 16:41

Take a packed lunch. You will find lots to do. As well as the exhibits there is an excellent adventure park outside. It is very cold, even when you are inside, so wrap up warmly.

Food is expensive, and not that good, and in the holidays there can be long queues.

The kids will love the water area, and get in early to 'Earth' if they want to use the remote controled full size digger.

Have a google for their websire, it gives you lots of info and you can plan your visit in advance. My kids loved it, and I have also taken Y7 kids and they had a good time.

Please
or

dottee · 11/04/2004 17:03

I had an annual membership last year for Magna as we live near there. Try getting to the diggers in 'Earth' against the crowds. They can get busy. I don't know whether the 'Living Robots' are still operating - that was a good show and it's in conjuction with Hallam Uni.

'The Big Melt' is more for adults although the children may enjoy the sparks etc. It does get dark and noisy though but I suppose that's how steel making used to be. The fire tornado is good in 'Fire'.

I have eaten in the cafe and it's not bad (not dirt cheap but OK if you want a day off catering for everyone). The playpark is excellent outside.

I much prefer Magna to the Earth Centre.

Please
or

roisin · 11/04/2004 19:43

Thank you hmb and dottee ... sounds like I'm making a pack-up! I've been wanting to go for ages but I'm sure the kids will love it too.

OP posts:
Please
or

dottee · 11/04/2004 19:57

Roisin - thinking about the cafe, you may find it a bit dear on top of the usual entrance fees. There's a McDs, Pizza hut, TGI Fridays etc. in the other direction if you're coming off the M1 at J34. Look for Valley Centertainment on any map you have which is next door to Sheffield (Hallam FM) Arena and there are loads of eateries on there (about 2 - 3 miles from Magna).

Please
or

roisin · 11/04/2004 20:02

Thanks dottee. I am using Tesco vouchers for the museum, so it feels like it's free iyswim. I'd forgotten it was quite pricey if you actually 'pay'. Oh, just remembered Ds1 has a bluepeter badge - I wonder if he gets in free! I'll just go and check.

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?