Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Padstow tips

8 replies

jimmychoos · 30/03/2004 11:21

We're going to a little village nr Padstow for a week at easter. Any tips for places to visit and eat with kids? we'll have four, 18 months, two three yr olds and a seven year old.
TIA

OP posts:
Please
or

LIZS · 30/03/2004 11:40

Padstow harbour is lovely and you can hire bikes with seats/trailers to go along the Camel Trail which is really flat. At the Padstow end of it there is Rick Stein's deli with great seafood to take away. At Mevagissey (sp?) there is an indoor miniature railway museum which had ds rivetted at 2.5 even though her was under the weather. In Newquay RNLI museum, zoo and aquarium.

Not sure what would be open so early in the season but there are a few National Trust places which should reopen by then and have cafes attached to them (we went to Lanhydrock House and Garden which has menu and facilities for kids).

Please
or

janinlondon · 30/03/2004 12:08

Jimmychoos - we are staying near St Tudy in July with a four year old, so please could you post a report after your break with any tips? Thanks in advance!

Please
or

bundle · 30/03/2004 12:14

it's over the other side but the Eden project was brilliant, our children were 3 and 2, plus 3 babies. facilities (food, changing) were v good.

Please
or

bluestar · 30/03/2004 13:23

I have ridden the camel trail at 6 months pregnant! Padstow is lovely, great cream teas! We went to a large Tescos and picked up loads of leaflets which proved really useful in finding stuff to do - had nephews with us, both were under 6 at the time.

Please
or

Crunchie · 30/03/2004 14:36

Padstow itself is lovely. I also like getting the boat across to Rock, or if you are lucky the dolphins will be out in the harbour and you can get a speed boat out to them - unsure if they run at easter.

There is a nice place called Dairyland (well it looks fun, I've never been) where you can play with cows It's not that far, near Newquay see dairyland I would try it out with the kids you are going with.

Personally I enjoyed the Eden Project, but I didn't feel kids got much out of it, I went with a 3 yr old and a 1 yr old who preceeded to run riot (not relaxing), but it was interesting.

I would do a web search for stuff to do, there is loads down there. Even just wrapping up kids in sweatshirts and going rockpooling will be a day full of fun, there are some beaches that are great for this. Unsure which ones near Padstow though.

Please
or

alibubbles · 30/03/2004 19:38

I lived and went to sschool in Padstow for 6 years. I learned to swin by jumping off the harbour wall aged 4, we all did it one by one, and if we didn't surface they stuck a pole in with a hoop on the end and fished us out!

Please
or

libb · 30/03/2004 19:44

I also lived in Padstow for a few years and remember doing lots - at Easter there was the Great Egg Chase down one of the hills in town and then May Day dancing through the houses. Not to mention the diving competitions from the end of the quay - the aim was to get to the other side!

I'm sure you'll find loads to do. Have a great time, I'm really jealous as I absolutely love it!

Please
or

fio2 · 30/03/2004 20:00

act posh

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?