Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Sunsail Javelin, Turkey

6 replies

surfhead · 06/03/2002 20:58

We're planning a 2 week trip to Turkey in June with a 6 month old. Has anyone been there and can give some preholiday advice.

OP posts:
Please
or

Rhiannon · 06/03/2002 21:23

Hi Surfhead, no haven't but I fancy going too. There are some Club Meds in Turkey don't know if theres a baby club though. But would always recommend them even if they did just stitch me up on my last holiday (another story entirely).

Please
or

Ailsa · 06/03/2002 21:29

Where in Turkey?

We've been before (off there again in July) and it's a lovely country, the people are friendly, just be careful that they don't ask your dp/dh if he wants to swap you for a camel!

Sorry not much advice at the mo, but will have a think.

Please
or

surfhead · 06/03/2002 21:34

Its just outside Bodrum - aparrently sunsail don't provide weaning food, is Turkish baby food palatable/safe!?

OP posts:
Please
or

Ailsa · 06/03/2002 22:38

Haven't a clue about turkish baby food, but if your little one will eat it, do as we did on our first foreign holiday and mash up some of your food. Take some powdered baby food as a back up (I know it tastes awful, but IME if they are hungry enough they'll eat anything) take plenty of formula milk, a travel kettle, sterilising tablets. When we took dd away for the first time, we sterilised her bottles overnight in the bathroom sink.

Don't forget to take a suitcase full of nappies!
The only space I had left for me was enough for 3 pairs of shorts, 3 or 4 tshirts, and 2 evening outifts - it was a case of wear one, wash one.

Now for the not so nice bit, sorry;
Don't forget any recommended injections, there aren't any compulsory ones, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I'm told that the additional ones your little one will need are available in a childrens version. My 2 are having the first of theirs in a couple of weeks time. From memory the only ones they'll (and yours) need are Typhoid and Hepatitis A.

We're staying in Gumbet, it's not be best of places but the hotel looks ok, and we probably won't spend much time in resort, we never do, wherever we go.

Please
or

Ailsa · 06/03/2002 22:47

I forgot to add, when you're there, if you plan to go on any excursions, try and do them independently. Travel is so cheap. Although they are nice places to visit, I wouldn't recommend visiting Ephesus or Pammukale with a baby unless you are fairly certain that he/she will sleep as they are a 5 or 6 hour coach trip away, we did this trip over 2 days, but that was pre-kids.

Other places to visit - Bodrum and the castle, the Mausoleum of King Mausolus, Torba and Gumusluk - these are nice quiet bays, shallow water. Camel beach seemed quiet when we visited (August), but, alot of the boat trips stop there so that people can have a ride on the camels. Bodrum Market. There are plenty of places to visit, it all depends on how far you want to travel with a 6 month old.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know

Please
or

Bee · 07/03/2002 11:46

We've done Sunsail, though in Greece not Turkey. Had a fab time, kids loved the clubs, husband learnt to sail so I could race him. Only thing is to request a quiet room/apartment away from the pool/bar area. People hang round it until the early hours swapping boat stories and getting pleasantly though noisily drunk. Kept us all awake for hours!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?