Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Do we cancel Hols???

18 replies

Twinkie · 08/03/2004 10:17

Are going to Northern Spain/Southern France for a week at the end of summer holidays - I really really want to go as it will me mine & DPs first and last trip away on our own (DD is with X2b). We are staying in a lovley Parador with pool, next tot he ahrbour and I am sooo excited!!

Thing is I will then be 6.5 months pregnant - can I still fly - we are flying to Biarritz on BA and DP has already booked and paid for the flights!!!

(Does it differ between airlines or is their a cut off for all airlines as to when you can fly till??)

OP posts:
Please
or

LIZS · 08/03/2004 10:21

Think it differs between airlines and how long/short haul your journey. For that length and as it it presumably a scheduled flight iirc it is usually about 34 weeks limit. Remember your E111 though and check that your travel insurance will cover you, just in case.

Relax and enjoy it.

Please
or

dinosaur · 08/03/2004 10:22

I don't know Twinkie but have a look on their website - it might say what their policy is.

I think you would still be okay then, but not absolutely sure.

Please
or

Azure · 08/03/2004 10:23

Many airlines state 28 weeks, but you can fly later than that with a doctor's certificate. How many weeks would you be (30?). It's worth checking with the airline. You should also check details on your travel insurance (if you have any yet), including for cancellations. I hope you manage to have that first/last holiday away together.

Please
or

Galaxy · 08/03/2004 10:23

message withdrawn

Please
or

marialuisa · 08/03/2004 10:33

long haul cut off is 32 weeks and short haul 36 weeks. Flying to biarritz will be no worse than a car journey. I did a 6 hour flight at 33 weeks and nobody asked for a certificate though.

Please
or

SofiaAmes · 08/03/2004 21:56

I went to the seaside in italy in august when 7.5 months pregnant. Can't remember whether we went on BA or alitalia, but I don't think either of them have a problem before 36 weeks on short haul flights. Look it up online or call them. They will have a written policy on it. As others have said, just make sure you have your E111 filled out and check the limits of your travel insurance. The great part is you have a perfect excuse for looking fat in your bathing suit. I think you will find everyone very helpful and friendly.

Please
or

CountessDracula · 08/03/2004 22:08

Of course you can fly! I went to NY and Ibiza when 6 to 7 months pregnant.

Please
or

bloss · 09/03/2004 04:04

Message withdrawn

Please
or

Hulababy · 09/03/2004 09:18

Been on BA website and this is what they say about flying when pregnant:

Pregnancy
For uncomplicated single pregnancies, we restrict travel beyond the end of the 36th week, and for twins, triplets etc., beyond the end of the 32nd week. After your pregnancy has entered its' 28th week, we ask that you carry with you a letter from your doctor or midwife, stating the pregnancy is uncomplicated and confirming the expected date of delivery. In this letter, your doctor or midwife should state that you are in good health, that they are happy for you to fly, and that (in their opinion) there is no reason why you cannot fly.

Hope this helps.

Please
or

aloha · 09/03/2004 10:03

Have a fantastic holiday. dh and I went to Greece when I was five months pg, just the two of us, and I really cherish the memory of it even now. Also had a glass of wine every night for a week - wahey!. I even wore a bikini. It was especially good because I spent 32 to 38 weeks in hospital so was really glad I'd had some fun beforehand. I recommend pre-baby holidays to all my friends.

Please
or

Trifle · 09/03/2004 10:22

I travelled when 30 weeks pregnant and was absolutely huge. Nobody questioned me at all about how far gone I was and if questioned I would have lied to avoid complications. Unfortunately in front of us at check-in a couple in the same predicament mentioned that she was 30 weeks pregnant and then ensured a huge great debate, supervisor sought, told may have to see airport doctor for fit to fly, could take ages and might miss plane blah blah blah. I couldnt believe how incredibly stupid they were to wait until check-in to say anything. If you are within limits then it's not worth highlighting it to anyone. I wouldnt particularly rely on an E1-11 as it only entitles you to the equivalent of NHS treatment abroad which is pretty shoddy. If it wasnt then nobody would get private insurance which is what you need so make sure you have it and check the small print.

Please
or

marialuisa · 09/03/2004 10:24

Yep, i found wearing a bikini when pregnant the most liberating experience. Who's going to look at cellulite when you've got a beach ball sticking out in front!

Self-esteem got a real boost when some gun-toting israeli boys made the usual blokey remarks (when they saw me from behind) and then fell over themselves in horror when I turned around

Please
or

Hulababy · 09/03/2004 10:24

I think it is your travel insurance you need to be more careful over reading and many do not cover pregnancy. Read it carefully.

Please
or

Twinkie · 09/03/2004 10:27

Thanks all - have travel insurance through work but will make sure they know I am pregnant - also will take E1-11 just in case and get letter from my doctor to cover every eventuality.

Ooohhhh saw a really nice Bikini in Vertebaut catalogue and gonna buy it I think - I am sooo excited - I can wear a bikini and not worry that I look fat

OP posts:
Please
or

Twinkie · 09/03/2004 10:27

Bloody hell gun toting israelis sounds scary!!

OP posts:
Please
or

Hulababy · 09/03/2004 10:28

Just check whether you will need a letter from your docor/midwife to say you will be fit to travel (if over 28 weeks) Better to cover yourself in advance IMO than risking it at the check in.

Please
or

crystaltips · 09/03/2004 10:59

I flew to France when I was 8 months pregnant ... just wore a large swing coat ( all the rage then " ) and no-one noticed

Please
or

marialuisa · 09/03/2004 11:07

Nah, just teenagers on national service. They have to carry their guns at all times, even when off duty. Safest place i've ever been and alot less scary than new Orleans.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?