Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Child friendly restaurants New York , good food essential!!!

9 replies

melsy · 06/03/2004 10:32

There was a thread started on this a while back but cant find it , think it may have been archived. Thought I would start again as there are always new ones.

DH is very particular with food , important part of travelling for him , so we need places that dont mind you bringing them with.

OP posts:
Please
or

Mum2Ela · 06/03/2004 11:37

Melsy, If you want to have a look at my piccies of New York contact me via 'contact another talker'.

We went to TGI Fridays on Times Square, a lovely chilli / mexican restaurant next door to the Casablance hotel and a v posh restuarnt in Chelsea (cannot remember name - will find out if you like) I found everywhere very accommodating for children.

My brother lives in NY and if you like I can ask him to e-mail me a list of his fave haunts.

x

Please
or

melsy · 06/03/2004 11:57

TGI 's is always good for homogenous american grub!!!Although it isnt very good here , it always tastes better there!! Would like to know about Chelsea restaurant.

What was the chilli tex mex restaurant ??

OP posts:
Please
or

Mum2Ela · 06/03/2004 12:04

I will mail my brother and ask him the name of the Chelsea restuarant and the tex mex place (which was lovely - they served 11 different types of chilli).

Please
or

melsy · 06/03/2004 12:33

Cool , thank you.

OP posts:
Please
or

SofiaAmes · 06/03/2004 22:08

melsy, you will be unlikely to find a restaurant that isn't child friendly. Almost all of them will have high chairs. If you have lots of money and book in advance, Union Square Cafe is very very good food.

Please
or

Solenzara · 09/03/2004 16:17

I know this is a bit of a tangent,( I am intending to visit your recommended restaurants) but we are going to NY and Washington at the end of April with our then 19 month old and are puzzled by what we are meant to do with him in travelling bewteen the airport and the hotel. Can he just sit on our lap in a taxi? Do you know of any limo type firms that will provide a car seat for him?

Please
or

melsy · 09/03/2004 16:32

I never thought of that bit, oh dear :. lets hope someoenw knows . Mum2ela what did you do?? Or did your brother have car seat???

OP posts:
Please
or

Mum2Ela · 10/03/2004 07:58

Melsy, DD rode on our lap (shock horror!). I know I will be so very unpopular for doing that but sometimes I don't mind doing that, obviously in very extreme circumstances (like that).

There is a new shuttle train thingamy which goes from Newark (where we flew to) to Penn Station (by Madison Square Gardens) and if I hadn't been too knackered I would have taken that.

HTH. x

Please
or

Mum2Ela · 10/03/2004 15:24

Melsy, this is what my brother has mailed me so far. I hope it comes out ok as I have just copied and pasted it from an e-mail. He has included links.

(BTW - Butter - the last restaurant is the restaurant we were emant to be going on Valentines with SIL and brother but they booked the table too late and went on their own. The staff were most upset that they hadn't brought DD with them and said they had told everone that DD was coming!)

Artisanal - midtown-east(ish), fondue, yumyumyum
newyork.citysearch.com/profile/11351794?cslink=search_name_cust&uli
nk=search_searchslot11_1profile21

The Biltmore Room - french / fusion, Chelsea, expensive but reasonable if
you stay off the reserve wine list. Wear a suit.
newyork.citysearch.com/profile/38567423?cslink=search_name_noncust&
ulink=search_searchslot11_0profile21

Rocking Horse - Mexican, Chelsea. Amazing burritos.
newyork.citysearch.com/profile/7104813?cslink=search_name_cust&ulin
k=search_searchslot11_1profile21

Cantinella - amazing Italian, amazing service. "If you want anything that
isn't on the menu just tell us, we'll make it". Lower east side
newyork.citysearch.com/profile/38976322?cslink=search_name_cust&uli
nk=search_searchslot12_1profile21

DB Bistro Moderne - French(ish), home of the $30 burger. Midtown.
newyork.citysearch.com/profile/11524232?cslink=search_name_noncust&
ulink=search_searchslot11_0profile21

Butter - Italian-French. Soho area. Yummy, great atmosphere.
newyork.citysearch.com/profile/14336883?cslink=search_name_cust&uli
nk=search_searchslot22_1profile21

HTH. Will try to find out the name of the tex mex - forgot to ask him!

x

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?