Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Travel to Oz with a 14 month old!

15 replies

Runner · 20/02/2004 12:30

Mad I know but has to be done as half my husband's family live in this part of the world! Not going until November for a month. Would really appreciate any tips on who to fly with and if anyone knows of apartments etc to stay in in Bondi for 30 something parents and 14 month old and any other advice that you think I need to know! thxs ever so much.

OP posts:
Please
or

Mum2Ela · 20/02/2004 13:17

I haven't travelled to Oz but I travelled to Cyprus with DD when she was 10 months old and we have just come back from New York with her (she is now 17 months). On our trip to Cyprus she sat on our (my!) lap and to New York we bought her a seat for herself. My only advice would be to get her her own seat (if you hadn;t already thought of this) as it makes life sooo much easier!

Please
or

bobthebaby · 21/02/2004 07:57

Qantas seemed really quite relaxed about how big a child could be put in the bassinette thing. I saw a 23 month old the size of a 3yo concertinaed into one and amazingly stay there. But the youngest babies take priority, so you may want to book and pay for a seat, but at 65%-75% of the adult fare it's quite an undertaking.

Out of interest - why Bondi?

Please
or

bloss · 21/02/2004 11:17

Message withdrawn

Please
or

eidsvold · 21/02/2004 17:42

it has been an incredibly long hot summer there so anticipate very hot temps - high 30's, 40's. Good sunscreen - keeping out of sun between 11 and 3. We went in April and bought dd a sunsuit outt here - sell them very cheaply - I think her top worked out at a fiver ( exchange rate) swim nappies and sunscreen on her legs. 100% UV.. can get hats in the same stuff.

Have done the trip with dd aged 8 months at the time - Singapore Airlines were brilliant and am off back to Aus in June with singapore - they are happy re: booking skycots - provided child is within the weight limit. Despite what people say - both times we have prebooked and been given skycots. Last time dd did not have a seat - this time she will have. We are taking her car seat ( as we are emigrating) for her to sit in on the plane and of course for use in the car. Last time we did not have a stop over as our time was limited. This time we are stopping over for four days in Singapore - mainly to have a holiday. Have flown JAL (childless) and they were okay, also Qantas but my vote is for Singapore Airlines - nothing was too much trouble for them.

I much preferred to get there and get dd settled rather than adjusting to two time zones. Jetlag wise she settled very quickly ( dh and I were worse) as we had night flights and she slept both times.

We got a good deal ( Oct time) for a hotel in Sydney - that was a five minute walk to circular quay,which then means easy access to so many places, lovely 4* hotel. Check online for deals. I think I just did a sydney accommodation search and come up with the one we stayed in... can't for the life of me remember its name - possibly wentworth or something.

Anything else - don't hesitate to ask.........

Please
or

bloss · 22/02/2004 02:38

Message withdrawn

Please
or

buzzybee · 22/02/2004 05:36

Definitely recommend www.wotif.com for hotels etc in Oz.

Please
or

eidsvold · 22/02/2004 09:18

you're right bloss ( about time zones..)and I know that ( silly woman I am) don't know why I wrote that

Please
or

eidsvold · 22/02/2004 09:20

Just remembered - when I checked last week - the weight limit for Singapore airlines sky cots is 16kgs.

Please
or

bloss · 23/02/2004 03:11

Message withdrawn

Please
or

Runner · 23/02/2004 09:07

Wow - thxs for all the advice. Is so difficult to know exctly what to do as is our first and at the mo getting used to a 5 month old, so hard to imagine what she'll be like at 14 months! Bondi is the location cos that is where husband's family are - I've never been so none the wiser but as you say sure there are better beaches etc elsewhere. If you think of any other hints for "bran new parents" travelling please let me knoW!!!! Thxs again for all your suggestions.

OP posts:
Please
or

bloss · 23/02/2004 12:05

Message withdrawn

Please
or

AussieSim · 23/02/2004 13:00

Runner, I flew to Oz and back with my 11mth old DS in Dec/Jan and posted about the experience here , along with others. My biggest hint would be that if you are enjoying breastfeeding then keep it up as it is the easiest thing to settle the baby on the flights and also when getting over jetlag. Good Luck!

Please
or

Runner · 23/02/2004 17:00

Bloss - I'll take you up - on asking for more help! You mentioned there being lots of serviced apartments in Coogee, is it not the case at Bondi? The relies live on Hastings Parade. Just doing my homework first! AussieSim thxs for all the other threads - loads of useful info.

OP posts:
Please
or

bloss · 23/02/2004 21:42

Message withdrawn

Please
or

Runner · 23/02/2004 22:08

cheers Bloss

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?