Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Is is a good time to buy from the USA? Exchange Rates

8 replies

Girly · 04/02/2004 15:51

Am thinking of buying some stuff from the US and the current exchange rate is $1.84 to the pound, is this a good rate? I think it is but am a bit thick when it comes to exchange rates etc

So come on all you experts please help!

OP posts:
Please
or

GenT · 04/02/2004 16:06

yes it is and if you use PayPal you get a little percentage back.

Please
or

Girly · 04/02/2004 16:10

thanks GenT, i have a paypal account, how do i do this?

OP posts:
Please
or

august24 · 04/02/2004 16:17

Oh boy is the exchange rate fab right now. My mom just came over from the states and I was able to buy clothes and sheets from my favorite expensive catalog and they worked out cheaper then buying things here! Of course with my mom bringing them I saved on postage and didn't have to pay taxes. This summer the pound was like 1.60. Some say it will be at $2.00 soon.

Please
or

GenT · 04/02/2004 16:21

WE HAVE ORDERED SUPPLIES FROM A COMPANY AND THEY ASKED FOR PAYMENT, WE ASKED IF THEY TOOK PAYPAL INSTEAD OF A CREDIT CARD AND THEY DID. JUST GIVE THEM YOUR DETAILS AND ALL SHOULD GO WELL.

OPPS, SORRY ABOUT ALL CAPS, TYPING WITH LEFT HAND AND SLEEPING DD IN OTHER.

Please
or

GenT · 04/02/2004 16:25

very nice august24, good stuff, was good your mum is bringing it. my sil sent 2 packages last nov. and no receipt as yet, stolen/lost in the post .... dd never got her pressies, sad .........I am wary about getting any packages now

Please
or

officerdibble · 04/02/2004 16:37

careful about exchange rates tho - for PayPal currently $1 = £0.61 (according to their website) - you generally don't get the money market exchange rate however you pay - someone always takes a (usually hefty) cut

Please
or

august24 · 04/02/2004 16:48

yeah it was great that my mom could bring it. Taxes can be really high. I can't wait til our trip home in April. I am going to shop until I drop! I should mention I bought things from the sale section of that catalog!!

Please
or

zebra · 04/02/2004 18:02

Watch out for VAT & import duties; technically they can charge those on almost anything that costs more than £14 (that's less than $20 right now).

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?