My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Use our Travel forum for recommendations on everything from day trips to the best family-friendly holiday destinations.

Holidays

Is is a good time to buy from the USA? Exchange Rates

8 replies

Girly · 04/02/2004 15:51

Am thinking of buying some stuff from the US and the current exchange rate is $1.84 to the pound, is this a good rate? I think it is but am a bit thick when it comes to exchange rates etc

So come on all you experts please help!

OP posts:
GenT · 04/02/2004 16:06

yes it is and if you use PayPal you get a little percentage back.

Girly · 04/02/2004 16:10

thanks GenT, i have a paypal account, how do i do this?

OP posts:
august24 · 04/02/2004 16:17

Oh boy is the exchange rate fab right now. My mom just came over from the states and I was able to buy clothes and sheets from my favorite expensive catalog and they worked out cheaper then buying things here! Of course with my mom bringing them I saved on postage and didn't have to pay taxes. This summer the pound was like 1.60. Some say it will be at $2.00 soon.

GenT · 04/02/2004 16:21

WE HAVE ORDERED SUPPLIES FROM A COMPANY AND THEY ASKED FOR PAYMENT, WE ASKED IF THEY TOOK PAYPAL INSTEAD OF A CREDIT CARD AND THEY DID. JUST GIVE THEM YOUR DETAILS AND ALL SHOULD GO WELL.

OPPS, SORRY ABOUT ALL CAPS, TYPING WITH LEFT HAND AND SLEEPING DD IN OTHER.

GenT · 04/02/2004 16:25

very nice august24, good stuff, was good your mum is bringing it. my sil sent 2 packages last nov. and no receipt as yet, stolen/lost in the post .... dd never got her pressies, sad .........I am wary about getting any packages now

officerdibble · 04/02/2004 16:37

careful about exchange rates tho - for PayPal currently $1 = £0.61 (according to their website) - you generally don't get the money market exchange rate however you pay - someone always takes a (usually hefty) cut

august24 · 04/02/2004 16:48

yeah it was great that my mom could bring it. Taxes can be really high. I can't wait til our trip home in April. I am going to shop until I drop! I should mention I bought things from the sale section of that catalog!!

zebra · 04/02/2004 18:02

Watch out for VAT & import duties; technically they can charge those on almost anything that costs more than £14 (that's less than $20 right now).

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.