Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

any ideas for USA

14 replies

gcam · 28/01/2004 18:25

Thinking of going to USA in summer with husband and 3 children - ages 4 6 and 7. Does anyone have any good suggestions of resort type holiday with good facilities and kids club?

OP posts:
Please
or

helenmh · 29/01/2004 15:20

The gulf coast of florida is great for families. we didnt stay in a resort but maybe other people know of some. We stayed on Ana maria island near Sarasota and also on sanibel island.
helen

Please
or

SoupDragon · 29/01/2004 15:44

There are some hotels with kids clubs but there's a chance that the lowest age is 5 so your littlest one may miss out. I'll second Florida's gulf coast - it's fantastic.

We've been to Naples (twice), Sanibel (twice) & St Pete's Beach. The Registry in Naples had a kids club and a fantastic pool which gently sloped like a beach and had a waterslide. The Tradewinds Resort on St Pete's Beach also had a kids club. Both clubs were from 5 I think.

Please
or

SecondhandRose · 29/01/2004 16:03

You could try Club Med, Port St Lucie, 3 hour drive north of Miami. Expensive but all inclusive with fab childcare.

Please
or

SofiaAmes · 29/01/2004 21:03

Disneyworld (florida) or disneyland (california) will be fun for the whole family. I can't wait until my children are old enough (they're only 1 and 3).

Please
or

Hulababy · 29/01/2004 21:05

SofiaAmes - we are going to Florida and specifically Disney this summer. DD will be 28 months and is already talking about it. We took her to Paris at 18 months and she adores it! So excited.

Please
or

BekkiKay · 29/01/2004 21:07

Orlando. But be careful when you go, it can get far too hot for little ones.
You could (if you can afford it) stay in the Disney hotel!

Please
or

SoupDragon · 29/01/2004 21:09

You can easily do a week in Orlando and a week on the gulf coast. I think 2 weeks being busy in Orlando would be way too much!

Please
or

sunchowder · 30/01/2004 14:34

Gcam, I live in Longwood Florida about 45 minutes from Disneyworld, we have had theads on this before where I gave a bunch of information outI believe that was when Hula was Claire&Rich and then CNR (tough to keep up!). I highly recommend a week in Orlando and a week on the Gulf Coast myselfthe water is much calmer ont he Gulf side for the little ones. The best times to come over are October and November and March and April in terms of the weather. See if you can find the other thread. Lots of good info there with some hotel specifics I think. Feel free to contact me via Mumsnet if you like.

Please
or

princesspeahead · 30/01/2004 14:45

Florida in high summer is a complete nightmare, weather-wise.... incredibly hot but more unbeareably, incredibly humid! like so humid it is difficult to breathe, and very debilitating and enervating if you are used to the british climate. Don't do it, especially with small children!!
gcam, how about flying to boston and going to cape cod, or somewhere on the coast of maine? very beautiful. and hot but not too humid. lots of kid-friendly places there if you have a look.

Please
or

helenmh · 30/01/2004 14:56

i forgot you were going in the summer. We have been easter and new year. California is great but a longer flight-the coast between san francisco and Los Angeles. I have heard good things about san diego but never been. New England is beautiful. We went pre children but didnt see any resort type places- we were in Maine
helen

Please
or

triplets · 30/01/2004 22:37

Hi gcam,
We have been all over California and love it all. There is so much to see and do the choice is yours. That was with our first son who sadly died ten years ago, but he loved it. I know its more difficult taking three but you could so easily spend 4/days in each place. San Diego is wonderful and of course you have SEAWORLD, there are lots of good resorts there to stay in with masses of things for the kids to do, LA and disney, wonderful, San Francisco, wonderful, I could go on! The other place which you may not have thought about is Las Vegas, there is so much to see and do their it is unbelievable and also very very cheap! Well as you can see from my nickname I am now the exhausted mother of triplets who have just had their 6th birthday this week! We have booked Florida for this Oct, our first viit and I can`t wait! We have a house 1 mile from Disney for 13 nights, and then 8 nights in a bungalow on Anna Maria Island, thats the part I am personally looking forward to, sounds like heaven. Any tips on nice local things to do there anyone? Hope this helps!

Please
or

Hulababy · 30/01/2004 22:46

We are going to Disney in August and for two weeks - how hot and humid Oh well, only time we can go - have to go in summer holidays.

Please
or

princesspeahead · 30/01/2004 22:54

oh dear hulababy, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have been so blunt! But in August expect around 90F and 90 - 95% humidity... bit different to Sheffield...
just make sure you don't overexert yourself in the first few days so you can try and acclimatise a bit. and funnily enough if you spend TOO much time in airconditioning it is even more of a killer when you get outside. so maybe try and spend some quiet days outside beside (actually, in!) a swimming pool before hitting disneyland or whatever?
sunchowder can you help me out here?! what would you recommend?

Please
or

gcam · 01/02/2004 19:31

Thanks for all your help. Might just stay in Europe due to heat in summer and current climate in USA

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?