Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Barcelona - apartments

14 replies

nickb · 22/01/2002 15:13

We're off to Barcelona in June - looking for an apartment to rent for a week with two 2 year olds - any suggestions ?

OP posts:
Please
or

MandyD · 22/01/2002 23:48

Would you need to be in central Barcelona? Years ago we stayed in a seaside resort called Salou (as I remember not more than 1½ hours away on the train). It's a beautiful resort and Port Aventura, a big theme park, is right on the doorstep. There are loads of apartments there, my parents did a timeshare exchange for a week there and then wanted to stay on and got an extra week for £28!! In Barcelona catch as much Gaudi as you can, the most stunning architecture I've ever seen!

Please
or

nickb · 23/01/2002 13:40

Hi there & thanks for the reply
We need to be fairly central as I'll be in the ccity most days on business (unfortunately).
I'm thinking perhaps of a great campsite, but not as far down as Salou.
Cheers

OP posts:
Please
or

DebbieL · 23/01/2002 13:53

Nickb,
Stayed in May last year. Sitges known as a Gay resort, but never bothered us - many families too and wealthy Barcelonans with seaside pads.
got a great appt in Sitges its about 30km south of Barcelona. From Sants station, trains to Sitges leave about every 30 minutes(trains leaving direction Tarragona or Vilanova i La Geltru). Takes about 30 minutes.

Try Tourist information centre nr station in Sitges. Or this website- www.sitgesrentals.com/page2.html

Hope this helps

Please
or

helenmh · 23/01/2002 14:04

We stayed in a great appartment in central Barcelona. It was right on the Ramblas so very central but not noisy. It had a living area with a double bed setee for the kids , a double bedroom for us a dining area and well equipped kitchen. There was a place serving breakfast but there were so many cafes, restaurants and an underground station within a short walk. Th kids loved Barcelona. The Ramblas provided lots of entertainment for them . The appartments were part of a french chain called Citadines They have a website www.citadines.com. Barcelona is a great city. anything you want to know please ask
helen

Please
or

nickb · 27/01/2002 15:54

AbFAb
Thx so much - with twin 2 year olds, just to decide now on staying in Sitges or in the city, but at least now we've got two great options.
Much appreciated

OP posts:
Please
or

Pat · 13/03/2002 14:11

Dear Helenmh
Thanks due to Mumsnet and a BIG Thanks to you for the Citadines.com recommendation.
I booked flights to Barcelona last week and then planned to book accomodation. Major Problem though as the weekend I had booked to go (27th April) is the Spanish Grand Prix (I had no idea) and as a result most hotels were booked. Aaaaggghhh! I have spent the last 2 evenings on the internet trying in vain to find accomodation. I did try lastminute.com (recommended on another thread) but their dates only went up to mid-April.
Finally, I thought of mumsnet and saw your recommendaton for citadines, tried the site and I think that we're in luck and I have obtained a room. Cross fingers. It seems ideal as I realy did not want to spend an arm and a leg on a 4/5 hotel (the only ones available it would seem) when we're not going to be spending any time there i.e. the main reaons for going is to get out and about in Barcelona.
Thanks for the tip!

Please
or

helenmh · 13/03/2002 14:49

Hi Pat, Glad you got a booking. It is in a great location. Very close to lots of restaurants and a good food market if you dont want to cook. The appartments are very comfortable. Have a great time
helen

Please
or

Ems · 25/04/2002 17:14

helenmh - my friend is going to Barcelona with family soon. What are the best things for children aged between 4-10 to see and do? Anyone else any must-dos that I can pass on? Thanks.

Please
or

helenmh · 26/04/2002 14:19

We went with our children. They enjoyed all the entertainers/stalls on the Ramblas. They loved all the tapas bars esp as the waiters make such a fuss of children. We went to all the gaudi sites esp Parc Guell where there is plenty of space to run around and interesting buildings. Down at the waterfront there is an aquarium. There are lots of nice open air eateries there. There is a beach with some nearby fish restaurants. The spanish are so child friendly it makes everything so easy. Hope this helps.
helen

Please
or

Ems · 26/04/2002 15:41

thanks Helenmh, I will pass info on. Personally, I'd love to go there one day and visit, preferably just me and hubby.

Please
or

Art · 26/04/2002 19:16

The aquarium at the port is definitely worth a visit its the biggest in Europe - also at the port you can do boat trips. There is an open top bus, but quite expensive. Several good beaches, try Port Olimpic as its got loos and showers. Also a zoo.
I agree with helenmh - one of the nicest things about the city is the child friendly atmosphere. Just sitting out in a square in the evening is great as everyone takes their children out at night.
The ramblas is a must - street artists, animals, buskers, etc.
Theres also Port Aventura theme park just down the coast by train. I think you could just about do it in a day.

Please
or

Pat · 29/04/2002 11:27

Also, if the family are into football then perhaps they should take in a visit to Barcelona Football Club and visit their stadium - the Nou Camp. It's pretty impressive (the biggest stadium in Europe).
We also took in a match - there were lots of children there despite the game not starting until 9pm! It was a great atmosphere - passionate fans and lots of flag waving & beating of drums!
And best of all - no swearing as seems to be the norm in the UK (or not that we could understand).

Please
or

susanmt · 05/05/2002 01:37

Another vote for Parc Guell, the dragon was very popular with my dd. Also the Ramblas is good, especially all the pet shops, and Barcelona has several good beaches as well (although we were there in Nov so dodn't really use them). Barcelona is marvellous - have a great time!

Please
or

angharad · 09/05/2002 14:00

Just got back from BCN (gone native) and despite weather and DH in hospital it was fantastic. Have to say the kids teeth will probably fall out thanks to all the sweets they were given...
We had an apartment near (about 10m from) Sagrada Familia, it was a decent size and much cheaper than Citadines. Got it via a nice ;lady called Monica (website www. barcelonaapartments.com) whose parents picked up/dropped off at the airport and babysat! Can't recommend enough.
Also at the Hospital they had separate paediatric/adult A&E so the kids weren't overly traumatized...

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?