Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Long haul solo with 2yo and 7mo

4 replies

MaggieW · 18/01/2004 13:13

I've done this on my own with DS when he was 6 months old but would appreciate any tips about travelling solo with two. We're off to NZ, hopefully via Singapore as it's quicker that way, but just wanted to pick some experienced brains prior to booking!

OP posts:
Please
or

batey · 18/01/2004 13:21

Did long haul with my dds when they were just 3 and 10ms. Dh was there but as much use as a chocolate firegaurd! So I would say, bulk head seats if you can, sky cot, ask for extra blankets and pillows,take more than you think you need of nappies/changes of clothes/milk etc. Take more money than you need, we got delayed 5hrs coming back and got down to our very last pennies! Depending on the airline you can pre-book kids meals and the bulk head seats. We also got "fast tracked" through all the queues 'cos we had small kids. Lastly homeopathic remedy-Arnica for jet lag. HTH.

Please
or

eidsvold · 18/01/2004 13:35

Flown to aus via singapore - generally aussies and nz on the flight from Heathrow to Singapore and then spread out to various flights to continue the journey.

SIngapore Airlines were brilliant - cabin crew were very helpful with anything we needed. Dd was eight months old at the time. She literally slept almost the whole way - we had night flights - just put her in a baby grow and then into her sleeping bag - we had a sky cot - zipped her in there and off to sleep she went.

We were fast tracked at check in at LHR and it was brilliant. The gave us a pack of bibs, nappies, wipes and we ordered a baby meal which we just gave when she felt like it although I went packed like a mule with everything you could possibly want. As dd was bottle fed - took steri bottles so I could lighten the load as we went as well as cartons of premixed formula. Had a bottle of water for her to drink on take off and landing.

We are travelling back to Aus with dd who will be almost 2 in June and again booked Singapore airlines but have paid for a seat for dd. We intend to take her car seat on board for her to sit in. There were other people who did that when we flew.

We held the buggy right until the end - and then it came off pretty quick up to where we alighted the plane rather than the baggage area etc.

Your little 2 yo can also join the frequent flyer programme - and they get little welcome packs. They also gave dd a little pack for the plane of activities, peanuts character, wallet and bits and pieces. She did not find much use for them - but we gave them to friends kids to use and they loved them.

The other good thing about Singapore for us was on the journey to Brisbane - we had done almost 2/3 of the trip by the time we landed at Changi airport so the next leg seemed to fly by.

Again SIngapore airlines were brilliant - can't praise them enough - have flown a number of others ( as adult without child).

I did see cabin crew on Singapore airlines helping parents with children etc and am sure if you tell that you wil be travelling solo with the two little ones - you can ask for extra help from ground staff at the change over in Singapore.

There are plenty of others who have flown solo with little ones - hopefully they can help.

Please
or

sibble · 18/01/2004 18:35

Big thumbs up too for Singapore Airlines - flew 2 years ago London - NZ (DS 2.5). Last year used Cahtay pacific, were great too, although it does feel quicker through Singapore.

Please
or

slug · 18/01/2004 20:22

Take your swimming costumes. There is a rooftop pool in terminal one at Singapore Airport. I travelled solo with the sluglet aged 19 months to NZ and this was just the best way to deal with the layover between planes.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?