Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

5.5 months pregnant - going abroad - anything i should be aware of?

11 replies

SpringChicken · 07/01/2004 16:00

I am currently 3 months pregnant - going on holiday 18th March at which time i will be 23-24 weeks.

Just wondered if there were any particular sun creams i shouldn't use? If i should try to only be in the sun for short periods of time?

Any suggestions welcome.

P.S Also, how the hell am i meant to get my back brown ???????????????

OP posts:
Please
or

dinosaur · 07/01/2004 16:01

This reply has been withdrawn

This has been withdrawn by MNHQ at the poster's request.

Please
or

SpringChicken · 07/01/2004 16:25

I think it will be the last holiday for a long time full stop!
Am looking forward to it - lots of strolls, walking in the sand, swimming etc.
Being a ladt of leisure, even if it is just for one week!

Thanks for your tip

OP posts:
Please
or

morocco · 07/01/2004 17:58

dig a little hole in the sand for your belly to go in - honest to god top tip that is!!

are you going somewhere really hot? I don't know about suncream types but be careful in the sun - your skin is more sensitive anyway and also might get those weird brown spots if you're out in it too much - I cowered indoors a lot and didn't sunbathe at all but I am a bit of a bright white thing at the best of times.

and don't worry - it's definitely not the end of holidays! my second top tip is to go away lots when the baby is still little - it gets harder as they get older (well ds is only 16 months so I can't comment that much)

Please
or

fisil · 07/01/2004 18:36

I don't like the sun, so no advise about that. But if you are going anywhere with insects, be very careful about what insect repelent you use. I asked a pharmacist in Boots, and there is one special type that you can use.

And don't be embarrassed about pacing up and down the aisles constantly on the plane!

Please
or

udar · 08/01/2004 08:59

Don't get dehydrated - it can cause your uterus to get irritable and may bring on false contractions. This happened to me in New York at 23/24wks and I ended up in hospital on a drip getting 2 litres of fluids pumped into me to stop the contractions.

Please
or

SpringChicken · 08/01/2004 09:40

Thanks for the tip about digging a hole Morocco, will have to make sure i get to the beach before DP or he will take the piss out of me, no doubt! BIL has already said i'll look like a beached whale (He's nice really )

We are only going to Lanzarote so shouldn't be too hot in March. Although will defo take you advise on dehydration Udar - i don't drink alot of fluids here so will make sure i am estra careful on hols!

I am quite used to the sun and have darkish skin so not really nothered about myself too much, just wondered if it would effect the baby in anyway (stupid concern, i know)!

OP posts:
Please
or

bluestar · 15/01/2004 13:55

Enjoy your holiday springchicken, only don't be so sure it won't be too hot in Lanzarote in March. We went at this time a few years back and it was the hottest March they had known! Whereabouts are you going?

Please
or

SpringChicken · 23/01/2004 11:26

How rude of me - i only just remember to check here - usually don't check travel as it makes me depressed!

Going to Costa Teguise Bluestar - apartments are called Playa Bastian.

OP posts:
Please
or

madgirl · 23/01/2004 13:14

check out what it's like for babbas and toddlers sc and report back!

Please
or

bluestar · 23/01/2004 21:13

Not stayed in Costa Teguise but visited frequently. Sister of a friend owns the Blue Dolphin pub/restaurant which is pretty popular, but usually full of brits. Lanzarote can be a bit windy so might be worth taking a sun tent or windbreaker for the beach for little kids. Enjoy!

Please
or

aloha · 23/01/2004 21:50

The baby will be fine! have a lovely time and enjoy every single minute. Get beautifully brown and RELAX!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?