Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Paris or Rome?

13 replies

fisil · 09/11/2003 18:40

We've decided to go away for a couple of nights between Xmas & New Year. We fancy taking ds for his first trip abroad (he'll be nearly one). We had a great holiday in Rome at this time of year a few years back, but we just can't get our minds around taking a baby away with us. So can anyone help me being a pathetic first time mum and answer some of our questions ...

1. is it better to book a holiday with transfers from the airport so that it is hassle free, or would it be better to find our own way, so that we can use public transport with the buggy? (our car seat got broken on the flight to Edinburgh, so we're a bit warey of taking it, and anyway the bigger car seat is not so great to transport)or would we be better off, therefore, driving to Paris?

2. Would we be able to find a central hotel (with parking in Paris) and baby listening and within walking distance of everything?

3. We reckon restaurants in Rome would be happy for us to bring in our baby in the evening, are we right, and what about Paris? Would they be too smokey?

It all sounds like so much hassle. Please, even if you can't answer my questions, tell me whether it is possible to do a city break with a baby/toddler or not! Right now, I don't believe it, but a break would be nice.
OP posts:
Please
or

jmg · 09/11/2003 19:09

It may not be quite what you were thinking of but last New Year we went to Disneyland Paris with out two little ones. You can catch teh RER into central Paris takes 30mins or so, but can also do the parks if you like.

What is best about it is that the hotels and restaurants are very into children so it is very very easy to do. You don't need to do the parks if you don't want to. There is even a fabulous designer outlet store about 10mins drive away!

The Eurostar takes you right into the disneyland paris station and luggage etc is automatically transferred to your hotel.

If you decide to drive as we did last year - it is easier than driving right into teh centre of paris.

Please
or

fisil · 09/11/2003 19:19

I like the sound of that, and I reckon ds will too.

Will put it to dp, though not holding my breath - I think he still has images of sitting around in cosmopolitan cafes reading novels and holding meaningful conversations! How can I break it to him that holidays are about to change ...

OP posts:
Please
or

beetroot · 09/11/2003 19:25

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

Please
or

SofiaAmes · 09/11/2003 20:01

Rome! You can take the train in from the airport. It leaves from the airport itself and is cheap. It takes you into the center of Rome in 1/2 an hour. From there you can either take a taxi or a bus. The latter is actually a remarkably easy and painless experience (and this is from someone who objects to public transport on principal Just remember to buy your tickets before you get on. Restaurants in Rome are super child friendly and will always have a high chair. They will make special foods for your child and dote over them. Most smokers are pretty considerate about babies. I might possibly be able to get you the name of a baby sitter in Rome as I have a good friend there with small children.

Please
or

fisil · 09/11/2003 20:24

Oh Sofia, are you an angel in disguise? That is exactly what I wanted to hear. I am now excited at the prospect of going there - rather than the feeling of dread I did have! We'd love to know if your friend has any contacts - especially once we've booked the hotel.

Thanks too to Beetroot - for giving us permission to have one last cultural holiday! I am looking forward to the whole Disney, Centre Parcs thing, but it is nice to know we don't have to move on yet!

OP posts:
Please
or

SofiaAmes · 10/11/2003 00:44

Pretty bad disguise...i can't even get it together to come up with a pseudonym.
Send me an email through mumsnet and I'll send you babysitting info. if my friend has any. I'll also ask my mother for hotel recommendations.

Please
or

vivat · 20/11/2003 10:02

Can anyone (Sofia?) recommend a hotel in Rome - we're going for a weekend in January without ds (the last one for a while as next one due in May !), so any recommendations of hotels, restaurants etc would be really welcome. I don't want to spend a fortune maybe £100-150 a night, but we'd like to stay somewhere boutiquey if poss.

I CAN'T WAIT.......

Please
or

princesspeahead · 20/11/2003 10:12

Roma Roma Roma Roma
Wonderful place to walk around, much nicer than paris I think, fabulous cafes, wonderful churches, palazzos and museums everywhere, very child friendly, go NOW!
I've only stayed in cheap pensiones as a student or v expensive hotels on business (If you can afford the Eden, go for it!) so can't help on hotels I'm afraid.

Please
or

ks · 20/11/2003 10:35

Message withdrawn

Please
or

ks · 20/11/2003 10:44

Message withdrawn

Please
or

ks · 20/11/2003 10:47

Message withdrawn

Please
or

vivat · 20/11/2003 22:54

thanks all - i used the alistair sawday when we went to Ireland and found a lovely B&B. Hadn't heard of the Karen Brown, so thanks again (still can't wait til end of Jan.....)

Please
or

fisil · 21/11/2003 19:16

Thank you thank you thank you

Our plans have change slightly - we went to a travel agents to look into Rome, and after a lot of chat once we got home, we realised that a couple of nights away in a really luxurious place close to home is much more what we fancy.

I've just found loads of excellent SE England hotels on those sites - Mumsnet saves the day again!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?