Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

romantic weekend

13 replies

spook · 02/11/2003 11:47

We are taking a much needed weekend away without our kids, and wondered if anyone knew anywhere lovely and romantic in the lakes/scotland. I am thinking log fires and four posters, walking and papers in bed! A tennis court would be fab, but maybe I'm asking too much now! Thanks in advance!

OP posts:
Please
or

beetroot · 02/11/2003 12:02

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

Please
or

beetroot · 02/11/2003 12:03

Message withdrawn

Please
or

beetroot · 02/11/2003 12:05

Message withdrawn

Please
or

spook · 02/11/2003 12:11

Hi Beetroot,
Thanks for that but they are the totally wrong area of the country. We are in the North-East and need somewhere within 2 / 3 hours drive away.

OP posts:
Please
or

beetroot · 02/11/2003 12:13

Message withdrawn

Please
or

candy · 02/11/2003 19:29

Go to the Witchery in Edinburgh if you're feeling flush - looks yummy.

Please
or

katierocket · 02/11/2003 19:57

agree with the witchery - BIL went for honeymoon and said it was amazing (no tennis courts though)

Please
or

tamum · 02/11/2003 20:00

The Witchery is lovely to look at, but I've had some startlingly awful meals there. The Three Chimneys is supposed to be fab, and has rooms attached; pretty sure they don't have tennis courts though, as it's not strictly a hotel. Their website is here . Also heard good reports of the Hilton at Dunkeld, which is probably reasonably priced.

Please
or

applepie · 02/11/2003 21:01

Stobo Castle looks fab - although I cannot personally recommend (hope to one day) it looks lovely in the pictures - near Peebles in the Borders and ticks all your boxes

Please
or

JanZ · 03/11/2003 15:50

How about somewhere like monachyle mhor in the Trossachs - stunning food, stunning scenery.... but no tennis court! I've cycled in the area in the summer and had lunch there, but not actually stayed. Food was fantastic and the hotel looked really cosy. I fancy going up there for a romantic weekend myself this winter!

Please
or

spook · 05/11/2003 17:01

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. Have booked-and am really looking forward to it!

OP posts:
Please
or

tamum · 05/11/2003 17:26

Have a great time spook- which one did you book?

(just realised your name would have been very apt for the Witchery!)

Please
or

spook · 06/11/2003 19:05

Hi Tamum,
I tried numerous of your suggestions-Stobo CAstle and Hilton at Dunkeld (I really wanted that tennis and it will probably rain!!) All fully booked. Eventually landed the Marriot Dalmahoy Country Club in Edinburgh. Fingers crossed....

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?