Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Taking kids out of school for a fortnight to go on hols - HELP!

5 replies

M2T · 14/10/2003 12:12

Hi folks - can any of you tell me if you can get fined in Scotland for doing this.

My Dad just called to ask if DP, DS and I want to join them on holiday next September. But my Brothers are both at High School and they do this every year!

I am NOT happy about it as it will be the oldest ones first year doing his Higher Grades. My Dad won't listen to anyone about the fact that he could be fined. My Mum told him she would only go in July during the school holidays.... yet he has phoned me from the Travel Agent and told me he is booking it for September!

What is the law now and how can I make him see sense! He is SOOOOOOO selfish. He just wants to pay less for his holiday and doesn't care about my brothers school work.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

OP posts:
Please
or

mears · 14/10/2003 12:22

You cannot be fined. However, we received a letter from the Education Department that says holidays taken in school term time will not be authorised by the school. All this means is that it will be recorded as unauthorised absence on the child's school attendance record. An exception will be made if a letter of proof from the employer can be obtained to state that holidays from work were not available during school holiday time. It will also be authorised if the holiday is required for personal family reasons such as bereavement.
We took our kids out of school for 1 week in October last year with ds having his standard grades. He manged OK but some teachers did comment on it.
We have just booked for Florida next year and will have to take the kids out of school for the last 2 weeks of June. That is when DH's holidays are. There isn't much work getting done in June though as they are winding up.
The problem ofcourse is the hike in cost of flights and accommodation during school holiday time. A major factor for a lot of people.

Please
or

M2T · 14/10/2003 12:34

Thanks Mears - Its just annoying me that he's upsetting my Mum too. She told him this morning before she went to work that she was booking time off in July so that the boys wouldn't miss anymore school. Yet he's gone and done this anyway! Bd!

My youngest brother missed the first 2 weeks of high school this year coz of their bloody holiday. Everyone else had made friends and settled in by the time he got there.

OP posts:
Please
or

mears · 14/10/2003 12:39

That is a real shame M2T. I personally wouldn't take Kids out in September for the reasons you mention but also because the workload is being set at the beginning of term. It is the time the teachers get to know the kids as well.

Please
or

GeorginaA · 14/10/2003 12:39

This is just me being perverse and probably not recommended in the interests of family relations, but I would refuse point blank to go even though he's now paid for it. Not much of a saving is it if he's had to pay for three people who refuse to get on the plane, is it?!

I don't know how the Scottish system works, but it does sound like it's an important year for your son. I remember being really ill in my first year of secondary school and had to take 2 weeks off and I had a horrendous time catching up again - and that wasn't even an important year!

Hope you can resolve it amicably.

Please
or

Loobie · 14/10/2003 20:27

im in scotland(livingston)and i have taken the kids out of school in may and september(only primary school)as long as i put in a letter to school they will authorise 2 weeks of term time but any longer than that is recorded as unauthorised,obviouly it is different for secondary kids at exam times,i think that different areas will have different rules.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?